British police kill suspect

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: British police kill suspect

Shot man not connected to bombing <br /> <br />Police cordoned off a 200-metre area around the station <br />A man shot dead by police hunting the bombers behind Thursday's London attacks was unconnected to the incidents, police have confirmed. <br />A Scotland Yard statement said the shooting was a "tragedy" which was regretted by the Metropolitan Police. <br /><br />The man was shot dead after police followed him from a south London flat to Stockwell Tube station on Friday. <br /><br />Two other men have been arrested and are being questioned after bombers targeted three Tube trains and a bus. <br /><br />The statement read: "We believe we now know the identity of the man shot at Stockwell Underground station by police on Friday 22nd July 2005, although he is still subject to formal identification. <br /><br /> <br /><br /><br />Good response to CCTV plea<br />'They unloaded five bullets' <br /><br />"We are now satisfied that he was not connected with the incidents of Thursday 21st July 2005. <br /><br />"For somebody to lose their life in such circumstances is a tragedy and one that the Metropolitan Police Service regrets." <br /><br />The statement confirmed the man was followed by police from a block of flats that was under surveillance. <br /><br />His death is being investigated by officers from the MPS Directorate of Professional Standards, and will be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. <br /><br />Arrests <br /><br />Two men are still being held at Paddington Green police station, central London, in connection with Thursday's attacks. <br /><br /><br />The first man was arrested at around 1630 BST on Friday during a raid on a block of flats near to Oval and Stockwell Tube stations. <br /><br />Eyewitnesses said he was led away with a woman and child. <br /><br />The second man was arrested late on Friday night, also in the Stockwell area. <br /><br />Both are being held under anti-terrorism legislation which gives police 14 days before they have to bring charges. <br /><br />Three devices found after the failed bombings were the same size and weight as those used in the suicide attacks of 7 July, which killed scores. <br /><br />The fourth was smaller, apparently contained in a plastic box. The same chemicals appear to have been used. <br /><br />They targeted Oval, Warren Street and Shepherd's Bush stations and a bus in Hackney

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Mistakes are going to happen from time to time in this war on terrorism as in this case, the suspect made all the wrong moves, he ran when comanded to stop, what are the police to do, for all that they know he could have detonated a bomb and kill everyone around him, including the the police officers themselves.<br />This is certainly a tradegy, but there is a price attached to freedom and democracy, it is paid for by all the good citizens in one way or another who choose not to live as victims of terrorists and mass murderers.<br /><br />It may have been a mistake but i still think that the police made the right call.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I guess you're right really-Running from armed police and trying to board a train isn't the cleverest thing to do right now. Darwin, where are you...?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I completely agree with Vlad. Here's a bit of advice: Don't do what the unfortunate dead guy did, you will probably end up like him.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Thank you, Mayor Livingstone!
I would not be too quick to thank Livingstone. He doesn't really "get it" if you ask me. He HAS intitiated some tough on crime stuff which is awesome, but take a read below. This guy is on record (more than once) of supporting "suicide" bombers.<br /><br /> http://www.standwithus.com/news_post.asp?NPI=377

rosco_59

Petty Officer 1st Class

All I can say is if a cop came to me and said stop I would freeze in my tracks and ask him when I could move again. I do not break laws as in a crime, I do not rob people so I have nothing to worry about. Only people guilty of something would run and I still say shoot.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bob jr:<br /> All I can say is if a cop came to me and said stop I would freeze in my tracks and ask him when I could move again. I do not break laws as in a crime, I do not rob people so I have nothing to worry about. Only people guilty of something would run and I still say shoot.
I agree. There are definitely lesser evils that people run for, but good, decent, law abiding people don't run.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

we can only speculate on the suspects motive and as to why he ran, one thing that we can be sure of is that in the UK the police nor the suspect will be tried in the media.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Quietcat:<br />
Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Thank you, Mayor Livingstone!
I would not be too quick to thank Livingstone. He doesn't really "get it" if you ask me. He HAS intitiated some tough on crime stuff which is awesome, but take a read below. This guy is on record (more than once) of supporting "suicide" bombers.<br /><br /> http://www.standwithus.com/news_post.asp?NPI=377
Wow! Thanks, QuietCat. I think you're right, Livingstone doesn't get it. And to think I had faith in another liberal. :rolleyes:

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Mayor Livingston is not a liberal by any sense of the word, in the 70"s and 80's he was famously known as Red Ken.

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not only did he run, but what was he doing at a house that was under survillance?<br /><br />Why was he targeted? the message is clear,the authorities will do all in their power to stop the offenders to ensure the safety of the public is not put at risk.<br /><br />GR

limeyboater

Cadet

The guy was a fare dodger its about time we clamped down hard on these people...<br />He should have stopped when challanged i hope the police are not given grief for this :( if the muslim community dont like it here they should fxxk off home

txswinner

Banned

This is so sad, the writer from Russia said it Best in unlike the civilized west they would hunt them down and kill them. Why did the man run. First did the police identify themselves, seems now they were not police but a security service. Then they pushed him to the ground and shot him 5 times in the back of the head. Like everyone else I would like to see the world rid of the Muslim terrorist, but do we sacrifice our own freedoms and civilized behavior to do so? If we do then the Terrorist win. We must get out of Iraq and spend our manpower to get Bin Laden and continue an all out effort against the terrorist, not wasted overthrowing governments, folks there are just to many. Let's protect our homeland, use military for security at airports, subways, boats, trains etc. Dress uniforms with sidearms with standard troops nearby as needed. Our military is big enough if properly dispersed to protect us.

Fly Rod

Commander

Originally posted by jtexas:<br /> Man, I'll never jump another turnstile as long as I live!
Just don't do it in England ;) :cool:

malagaoth

Seaman

please do not get the idea that bLIAR is tough on terror he is as i write appeasing the IRA (again) by the by if Adams and Maguinness are not in the IRA what are they doing on its army council????