Bringing back Old Fuel Tank

bigmarc66

Seaman
Hey Guys, I recently bought a new boat and the guy that had it before me never used the internal gas tank. I figured this might be a good place to post this as some people may have boughten back old unused tanks. The gas tank was nearly filled for 3 years and now I have drained almost all the gas out. Is there anything I can put in or do to try and better prepare the tank for use. I have a fuel water separator and filter so I know those will help the cause, but anything else?

Thanks, Marcus

D

DJ

Re: Bringing back Old Fuel Tank

If it is steel, it might not be worth saving. Aluminum or plastic-maybe.

I have had good luck cleaning old crud out by pouring in BB's and shaking the daylights out of it. Make sure you get them all out.

bigmarc66

Seaman

Its alluminum and its in good shape, but its built into the hull and I cant pull the tank out to try and do like you say. Any good product to pour into it?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would pressure test it before spending any money on it. basically a leak down test.

maxum247

Lieutenant

Have aluminum tank, gas sat in it for about a dozen years as the gas evaporated left hard crud in the bottom. Put in fuel filter and tryed it, ran good at idle , but at speed would die out and the ball would flatten. Removed sending unit and took out pickup tube. Put in enough water to cover the bottom good, each day for about two weeks I fished around in there with the end of a garden hose to break things loose, once I felt it was all loose I raised the bow of the boat and siphoned the water and crud into a can. Let the tank air dry for a few days. Put a new screen on the pickup tube and a new gasket on the sending unit. Haven't had any trouble since and the filter is staying pretty clean.

maxum247

Lieutenant

It looks to me like you add it to your fuel.