Bringing 85hp Force back to life?

RRitt

Captain
Re: Bringing 85hp Force back to life?

I am soon to take posesion of a early-mid 90's Bayliner Capri with a 85hp force outboard. I have never worked on outboards before however I am very mechanically inclined. I do alot of automotive engine and electrical work so instead of giving a marina all of my money I have decided to take it on myself!

outboard versus auto:

the fuel pump works by flexing a diaphram. The diaphram is flexed by pressure coming off cylinder #1. It is possible for problem with compression to affect fuel pump and problems with fuel pump to affect compression.

there is no alternator. it is called a stator which is fancy talk for an alternator glued to inside of flywheel. Being glued in place on the flywheel means that the stator can also function as distributor if you have the right electronics.

gas mixed with 2cycle oil leaves a residue when it evaporates. Over time your carbs might get a gummy buildup that makes your engine hard to start.

if your idle is set too low then engine dies when going into gear. so idle is set while in gear instead of in neutral.

many force parts are off-the-shelf industry standards. For example the $40 mercury voltage regulator on a '88 force is same thing as the $3 bridge rectifier from mouser electronics.

stainless and aluminum wage war upon each other when placed into salt water. If your sacrificial anode isn't kept in great shape then your stainless bolts will be seized into their holes. Stainless into aluminum is darned near impossible to drill out and rethread. So keep your anode in better than perfect health.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has been a while so here is an update:

The starter solinoid was the culprit of the electrical problems. Replaced and all was well till I started haveing fuel delivery issues. Fixed that after much head scratching and cursing it was just a kinked fuel line. Not sure if my battery is going bad or if the stator (alternator right?) is the culprit but I can't keep the battery charged. Then again it hasn't been run long.

This past weekend boat not being registered aside, I put it in the lake so I could work on moving the trailer axle to help with the tounge weight problem. I fired it up and made a football field sized loop to just see how it ran for a minute. It felt pretty good for the 3min it was under load. This weekend it will be registered and I plan on running it up and down the lake for a couple of hours just to run some fuel through it and see how it does.

Thanks to all who have helped point me in the right direction as I ventured into this new project. You guys are great!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey! That's great that you got it going, let us know how things go. Take a spare battery with a good charge in case the one on there doesn't charge up.

FreeBayliner4Us

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm on it Max,

I have one of those self contained jump boxes, it works great. The battery seems is close to starting it. Voltage 10.9-12.1 depending. The battery worked fine 2 months ago when it was pulled out of a bronco for a twin optima battery upgrade.

We are taking the boat out tommorow after my football game is over. The wife wants to spend the whole day on the water, but it is opening day of LSU football. I HAVE to watch my Tiger crush App State. I told her if it is a complete blow out by half time that we would head out then. The game was in the evening but they moved it up to 10am CST due to the hurricane. Lets just hope they due a better job this time so we don't have another Katrina!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A simple check on your charging system when you back the boat into the water, start the engine.

Place the probes of a multimeter on the 2 battery terminals.

You should get a reading of 13.6 - 16 volts.

Your motor does not have a regulator, just a voltage rectifier.
If you are not charging, time for a new rectifier.

You can use a cheap generic one for $12, or a fancy marine outboard version for $50.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Your story has been a good one to follow.

Happy Boating.