Bring your own bag in San Franwakkko

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here they go again.........<br /><br />The do-gooders who run San Franwakkko are planning to impose a 17 cents per plastic grocery and other plastic bags. They want to assess a charge of $17.00 per hundered bags to the stores/markets, etc who use these bags. Naturally, the customer will foot the bill and I imagine the customer will be charged for the cost of the bag on top of the new "surcharge".<br /><br />Nothing was mentioned about redeeming the used bags for a rebate, like beer cans and bottles.<br /><br />The reason given for the 17 cents per bag charge, is that there too many of the aftermentioned bags "messing up the city". It's a little late, you mental midget's. It's been a mess for years and not just from plastic bags. Mo Money, Mo Money, Mo Money.<br /><br />They ought to put a bounty on the derelict's that have infested SF,If they really want to clean up the city. :mad: <br /><br />I wonder where they came up with the 17 cents per bag figure??? Maybe that is the combined IQ of the entire Board of Supervisors in SF. :confused: <br /><br />...Bob in Calif...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bring your own bag in San Franwakkko

Hey bob, ya never know. It might save a whale. :D <br /><br />Sure, charge for the bags and pass out the condoms, please!<br /><br />They ought to take the whole city council and dump em into the bay, along with the 9th circuit court of appeals. Maybe Scott Peterson can give seminars, from jail, on how to make concrete weights.

Homerr

Commander

SHHHHH QUIET !!!<br /><br />Don't let the brother nutbars in Oregon hear about this... They'll do the same thing!<br /><br /><br />H.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Not just there. We've heard of that happening here too. Let me know if it goes through.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Ok all you nutcase hunters.<br />We probably agree that plastic bags do make a mess.We also agree that it is a completely preventable mess.For a while people thought that using paper would be better for the environment.It turns out that producing paper bags(very high in energy use) is in fact more polluting than plastic at least in the short run.<br />Maybe we can bring our own bags to the shop.We will probably use them a lot of times and chances are that you got them for free to begin with.<br />The people who want to charge you for a bag,are trying to find a solution for a problem.You may not agree with the solution,but you probably agree that the problem exists.Instead of reacting to the problem solvers efforts,you should take the initiative and bring your own bag!!<br />Boomyal,you should be happy that they hand out the condoms for free.This may eventually decrease the number of nut cases.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I expect, rolmops, that next time we bump into each other in the supermarket or at Home Depot, I will see a couple of used plastic bags hanging out of your back pocket.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A local supermarket used to give us a $.05 discount for every paper bag we saved them by bringing our own.<br /><br />I thought it was a good idea but after a year or so they dropped it in favor of using those flimsy plastic things that split open on the way to the kitchen and/or dump your groceries all over the inside of your truck.<br /><br />At the Super Saver market you have to bring your own bags because they don't have any. You also have to pack them yourself because they don't hire baggers.<br /><br />There are alternatives to the SF whacko plan, and they work better.

Homerr

Commander

BUT WAIT:<br /><br />We have RFID coming...<br /><br />No need to even bag your groceries... You simply run your cart through the scanner, wave your debit card through the machine and off you go.<br /><br />Then you could just toss your groceries into your car to an awaiting box, or wheelbarrow or whatever... No bags needed at all.<br /><br />RFID is here. And it's closer to you than you think!<br /><br /><br /> :) <br /><br />H.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Actually,Boomyal, I have an old fashioned cloth shopping bag that, according to my wife, should have been disposed of years ago.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I read about that, but just as Homerr, we have our share of copycat crankcases down here in Florida too, and didn't want to let the cat out of an allready-too-expensive-bag.

NYMINUTE

Captain

They did this in New Hampshire back in the 70's at a place called Mammoth Mills. Bring your own bags (paper) or a box. Seemed to go well. The plastic bags are terrible except for DCP (Dog Crap Patrol)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Funny how when liberals try to "fix" a problem it usually means some form of tax/surcharge/fee. How exactly will charging 17 cents per bag without opportunity to recoop help anything? <br /><br />I would think about throwing my bags all over the place cuz I have paid to have the city pick them up. Are there not already fines for littering? What a bunch of communists.<br /><br />Here's an idea, how about charging 17 cents and putting the stuff in 13gallon garbage bags that would line the average garbage can? Fewer bags needed, reusable in a real world sense, and better for the environment. Wow, a solution without taxes, and it only took me about 15 minutes.<br /><br />Add in the opportunity for stores to recieve a TAX CREDIT for implementing such a program.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Back in 1978 I was in Sicily. When shopping you brought your own bag. Most people had nice canvas or mesh type bags to put their purchases in. The stores did have bags for us newbies that hadn't caught on about bringing your own bags. The only real difference between their shopping and our shopping is that they shop every day for the food they eat that day. So one or two bags was all you needed. The idea of doing a months worth of grocery shopping at once was "foreign" to them. HA HA HA!<br /><br />One other note on those shopping trips: The Lira was experiencing great inflation. There were no more single Lira coins. So change for 1 to 4 Lira was given in hard candy. This really ticked off my Dad. So he saved all the hard candy he got as change. After a year and a half he came back to the states but before leaving he did one last shopping trip and paid for it with this huge bag of candy. The shop owner was surprised, but gladly took the candy as payment. Not sure how they worked out the value, but my folks were know as the local Americans and were probably given a break.