Briggs & Stratton Intek 44 cubic inch

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So, the Admiral was cutting grass this past weekend and I could hear the mower didnt sound right. As I walked up, she said it was smoking and low on power

turns out one of the push rods bent and fell into the sump and the motor was running on 1 cylinder

So instead of taking the boat out, I found myself pulling the lawnmower apart

determined the cause, searched the web for common threads and ordered a bunch of parts.

checking the valves, it appears that there was extra clearance on the other 3 rockers, so I can only assume that the rocker was a bit loose and popped out.

Get the motor back together, and apparently I did not set the governor arm correctly during re-assembly

did you know that an intek V-twin will apparently run about 4200 RPM before the valves float...... I do now

that will make you pooh your shorts

so tonight, re-assemble and adjust the governor.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Well ....... The little mishap with the governor setting grenaded the governor PXL_20220920_231053121.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Guess what is on national backorder.....Briggs part number 793338.....

matt167

Captain
I have learned a ton from Taryl. Sometimes his skits are a little much but he covers a lot. I had an intek blow up and I put a liquid cooler Kawasaki out of a John Deere in the tractor. It was a little overkill

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Taryl and Donnyboy73 are both very good and about as different as night and day.

FLATHEAD

Commander
I have learned a ton from Taryl. Sometimes his skits are a little much but he covers a lot. I had an intek blow up and I put a liquid cooler Kawasaki out of a John Deere in the tractor. It was a little overkill
Yeah, He is nuts but really is pretty thorough,

Scott Danforth

Staff member
ok, so have a governor coming....... delayed by Ian.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
wahoo...... governor showed up..... so after bringing the RV back to dealer for some service work, stopping at mother-in-laws to remove remaining storm panels, I can put the motor back together to make the grass shorter.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So, engine assembled, governor set. New battery purchased. Used the mower for 3 hours mulching storm debris in my yard and the neighbors yard

Wore out the chain on the saw cutting bamboo

New chains ordered