Briggs&Stratton 5hp vs. Mercury 5hp

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am curious to know if a 5hp Briggs&Stratton engine would be faster or slower than a Mercury (Nissan/Tohatsu etc.) 5hp on a lightweight aluminum jon boat, other things being equal. The Briggs is a 4 stroke and heavier than the Merc with its built-in fuel tank but other than that what would be the difference? There is a big price difference, that's for sure. Havent been able to actually see a Briggs motor because they are evidently not sold in stores. Any input on this would be appreciated.

nburford

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Briggs&Stratton 5hp vs. Mercury 5hp

I was all set to buy one, based on my good experiences with their products for 25 years, however, they do not suggest using it in salt water. Compared with a 2 stroke, it won't foul the plugs, it won't smoke, it will use less fuel, and if it runs as well as their other engines, will last a long time. Anyone else have one?

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The Briggs is basically a lawnmower engine on a outboard leg. I heard one in action on my last trip to Washington, and they make quite a bit of racket. The water-cooled Merc/Tohatsu/Nissan would be my choice. Great motor, with regular care will most likely outlast its owner. :D

sloopy

Commander

the five horse power briggs and stratton is a great engine. It will be faster then most mercs becuase there is less outboard in the water and no exhuast to cavitate on. In reverse it will be ten times better and in forward it will be about the same as most water cooled outboards, but it will get up on plan faster.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

make a search on this site for "BRIGGS & STRATTON" I did a while back, and it was interesting. :D :D

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies, guys. I am trying to educate myself should I decide to take the big plunge and buy a new motor. I have several old ones that serve me well and when I look at new ones I get total sticker shock. My little boat is a 12ft Landeau that is only rated for a 6hp motor and most of the time I run an old Sears 7hp motor which only weighs 40lbs. Does real well, but I/d secretly like to slap a 15hp on this boat and haul *** ! However the transom just couldn't take the weight so I am looking for best power to weight ratio. I have a Evinrude 5.5hp Fisherman that weighs 56lbs and that seems about heavy enough. I was just wondering if the newer motors were more efficient and would give more speed. I looked at a Merc 8hp last week that was a 94 and the guy wanted 975bux for it and I thought that was steep and besides it seemed a little heavy. I just wish I could line up 2 or 3 motors and try them out with my GPS, but when you buy an outboard - especially a new one you just have to hope for the best. Has anyone got any thoughts about a BS vs Merc vs old 5.5Rude? Hmmmm.....

Fouled Plug

Ensign

Squeakit, it's hard to beat those OMC 5.5's. When properly tuned, they run so sweet and have a great low-speed troll. If the compression is good, I'd tune it up and pocket the bux you'd spend for more speed. No sense is overpowering your boat at any rate. If the 5.5 is set up on your rig properly (cav plate height, etc) how fast do you go? A newer motor most likely would offer more speed & efficiency, but just how much $ are you ready to part with?

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi fouled plug: Totally agree with you. I stripped about 10lbs of nonessentials off my old Rude and I'm going out tomorrow with my homemade pressure tank - much lighter than the big 6gal metal one) and see what she'll do with less weight. Must be a sickness - playing with old outboards and a little boat, but I like it <VBG>