Briggs repair

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Need to pull the flywheel to get the ring gear replaced and this happened. It's a cast crank and it shattered when I rapped the puller with a hammer in an attempt to get it to pop loose. No the nut was not on the crank when I was trying to pull the flywheel. Now what to do? Grind it flat and risk mushrooming the crank or find another nut and make a spacer to ride on that then index the puller to that.... Suggestions???:mad:

061.jpg

059.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Briggs repair

Two things.....

This will probably be moved to non boating technical topics - be prepared.....

HEAT .......... use a propane torch and heat the heck out if it and use the puller.

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I noticed it was in chat after I posted.... oops

I gave this a shot and nothing. Used an impact gun till it stopped tightning.
065.jpg

The top of the flywheel is black from an oxy/act torch. Guess I need to get it really hot!!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Oh you have oxy/act ..... did it start to glow red? That is how hot I would get it Hit it with PB if it does not budge and let it sit then do it again (don't breathe in the fumes)

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Have had it glowing a dull red twice now an have soaked it in wd-40 a couple times. Never had one this stuck.....:redface:

puddle jumper

Captain

When you get it hot try hitting with water. It may take a few tries but it works.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If the shaft is tapered, try smacking the around the outside perimeter of the flywheel with a hammer. Use a block of hardwood between the flywheel and hammer as not to damage the flywheel with the blows of the hammer.

dolluper

Captain

Am I seeing right here or do you still have the nut on the shaft and your trying to pull it off ....never happen get that nut off first then use your puller

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that I remember reading in the op, that he had the nut off when the damage was done. the pic with the puller and the nut "in place" is a later attempt. (am I right?)

Actually, I prefer to use the puller in situations like this with the nut installed but backed off a couple of turns. That will limit the release of all the stored energy to a short distance of movement when it finally pops and help keep every thing from landing on the floor. When the nut is finally removed, you can tell if there has been any damage to the threads (expanded/mushroomed etc.)

Just my preference thats all.......

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As I said in the first post the nut was not on when I shatterd the end of the crank with a hard rap of the hammer to the puller. I threaded the nut back on after damaging the crank.:D

In the third pic the nut is 1/2 inch off the flywheel in an attempt to center the socket on the end of the crank.

The flywheel is still stuck.....:mad:

speedwrench

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would not reuse the flywheel after "have had it glowing a dull red twice now an have soaked it in wd-40 a couple times." It could explode. Go ahead and split it.

Dave

HeavyObject

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would not reuse the flywheel after "have had it glowing a dull red twice now an have soaked it in wd-40 a couple times." It could explode. Go ahead and split it.

Dave

And how would you go about splitting it? It's a thick sob. FYI, it has not had any wd on it when it was red hot.

I bought a better puller today, but didn't get to test it as I needed to tear down the front axle in my old 4x4 Dodge...

Wills03

Seaman Apprentice

No expert here but this procedure has worked for me on various things.

1 Good heavy duty puller with fine thread screw.

2 Protect end of shaft by backing off nut to end of shaft.

3 Some times I index the puller to the shaft, some times to the shaft nut.
In the 2nd choice I thread extra nuts on the shaft to put the pulling force
onto more threads.

4 Tighten down on puller screw with strong force [hand only].

5 Heat item to be pulled just outside shaft with fine tip oxy-acet in 2 places
180* apart alternating back until both spots cherry red.

6 Solid strait-on tap on end of puller with appropiate hammer, 16 oz - 3lb

Has worked for me 100% of the time.

Also try less heat first. Small tip gets the item to be pulled hot not the shaft.

puddle jumper

Captain

DO NOT TRY THIS!!!! IT WILL EXPLODE OR CRACK AT THE VERY LEAST.

Bill

Define explode. Can it crack or brake, yes it could being cast metal. Its the chance you take every time you do repairs on any thing.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't use heat on it,could ruin electrical parts underneath.The way I would handle it would be to sray pb blaster or liquid wrench applying several applications over a week. then I would grind off what was left of the top,recenter the center and remove the nut.Reuse the puller,tapping on it as I tightened. If the threads get pulled out from the flywheel I would retap and go to the next larger bolt.I have had a few stubborn ones that eventually came off.

boating thad

Seaman Apprentice

i had the saqme problem witha briggs flywheel put heat witha torch and spray wd40 or pb blaster and let it soak had to use a slide hammer on apuller to get it lose
any question you can email me tractorism@yahoo.com

thad

Splat

Lieutenant

Define explode. Can it crack or brake, yes it could being cast metal. Its the chance you take every time you do repairs on any thing.

Perhaps explode was the wrong word. Not explode like a hot metal explosion(we have those at work, and trust me they are no fun) More than likely crack.

Bill