Brief Engine Trouble, What Would You Do?

anon1

Seaman
Hello,

I have a 22yr old boat with a Mercruiser 350Mag I/O with low hours on it and well maintained and started on muffs regularly.

Took it out recently and after about 45min it started to kind of sputter or miss, it was losing power. Throttled back and turned around and made it to a dock (that had a sheriff boat on a lift, they have very nice docks) and tied up and let it idle for a few. Revved it up a few times and it seemed fine so off we went. No more trouble at all for he next hour and a half.

Would you check something out? I'm thinking either a brief fuel or spark problem. Maybe the fuel pickup tube sucking somethng up? What else?

Thanks.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Brief Engine Trouble, What Would You Do?

Go through the entire fuel circuit pick up ube and screen,vent,anti siphon valve fule lines filters (@pump and carb inlet)check fuel pump pressure make sure your getting good bursts of fuel into carb throat, if not rebuild carb make sure fuel in tank is free of condensation if so drain it and refill with fresh fuel and add a fuel water seperator filter and the a complete tune wouldn't hurt plugs,wires,cap,rotor(points)oils and filters.

ljenks

Seaman Apprentice

I am a professional ATV mechanic & am having problems with my boat now. But from a mechanics standpoint it is awful hard to fix something that is not broke, and basically that is what you are saying is that now it is running fine. In my opinion I would not go rebuilding carbs & stuff. If the boat is about due for plugs, cap, wires & rotor, it might not be a bad idea to do that so you can at least rule it out if it happens again.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

With an ATV you can get off and walk if the problem occurs. You can't do that with a boat so not fixing it is bad advice. A total fuel system inspection can be done for little or no money. Filters and carb kits cost very little in the grand scheme of things.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

ljenks the list I provided are if your noticed are items that cost nothing up to and in order to the plug's and possible carb rebuild this I have learned from eexperience of being a boat owner over the last 15 years it is an expensive hobby so to say and I have come to the conclusion that you always trouble shoot 1st and work your way through things such as these by doing the things that don't cost anything and check the results so as not to start throwing money and parts with no results at a problem. If you check the items I did list can be had for under $100 and that's if the rig really needs it but it would be money well spent after the labor of trouble shooting.