Breaking News

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Breaking News

Is this the minority female that Pointer was griping about?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Well let's see.. Less than 1/3 of the U.S. population is made up of white, males.. That makes John Roberts is a minority, does'nt it?....

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Breaking news? I heard that an hour ago. Chief ;)

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

less than 35 % total white poulation in calif ,most are over 65 too.....not that it maters a fine *** is a fine ***.....

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

64% of conservatives like the pick.24%do not.<br />92% of democrats think he is a shill for Bush.<br />99.9% of everyone could care less, and much LESS about the sideshow we are in for on the floor of the senate, for the next 4 months.

aspeck

Staff member

Yea, now it will be interesting to hear the Dems wine about him. He was a senate unanimous choice just 2 years ago for the DC court of appeals, I believe. <br /><br />12Footer - there you are, you have been missed!

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

So because you're qualified for the Appeals Court means you're qualified for the Supreme Court??

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by mrbscott19:<br /> So because you're qualified for the Appeals Court means you're qualified for the Supreme Court??
Apparently Mr. Scott is unaware of the gentleman's other academic and professional achievements. But it would not matter anyway. Mr. Scott and his friends wouldn't be happy with anyone chosen by President Bush.<br /><br />
99.9% of everyone could care less, and much LESS about the sideshow we are in for on the floor of the senate, for the next 4 months. <br />
Aint that the truth!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Bush said "...and he will not legislate from the bench". This could be good or bad. As a non-partisan statement, sometimes I'd rather see the Supreme Court legislate than Congress, especially when Congressmen act like idiots.

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

So I take it BB you wouldn't have a problem with your city seizing your property to give to some developer to put up a shopping mall or hotel? It took only 5 individuals to strip all Americans of their property rights under the Constitution. Five individuals that do not have to answer to any of us afterwards at the ballot box for their decisions.<br /><br />Edit: Or perhaps you were not really serious and only wanted to point out how idiotic it has gotten in Washington of late. :D <br /><br />Is anyone else as embarrased as I am to be an American over what has been going on there?

aspeck

Staff member

Mrbs, if you are qualified to uphold the constitution, then you are qualified to uphold the constitution. It should not be a popularity or political ploy. It should not have anything to do with race, sex, or religion. The office of a sitting Supreme Court Judge should all be about upholding the law of the Constitution - not making new laws or new interpretations. <br /><br />Let's get judges - court of appeals, circuit courts, state supreme courts, Supreme Court, etc., that will uphold the Constitution.

PW2

Commander

I for one reserve judgement on him until I know more about him.<br /><br />I don't have a problem with him being a conservative. I think we need a mix of various reasonable idealogical positions on the court.<br /><br />However, I don't understand the concept of "not legislating from the bench, or even what that means exactly.<br /><br />Courts exist as a check on the power of the other two branches of government, and force those other branches to adhere to the constitution when making the laws they pass. If in fact they do that, I am all for it.<br /><br />They are not there to be necesarily obedient to either the executive or legislative branches of government. It defeats the purpose of why they are there.<br /><br />Sometimes I get the feeling

aspeck

Staff member

Originally posted by PW2:<br />However, I don't understand the concept of "not legislating from the bench, or even what that means exactly.<br /><br />Courts exist as a check on the power of the other two branches of government, and force those other branches to adhere to the constitution when making the laws they pass. If in fact they do that, I am all for it.<br /><br />They are not there to be necesarily obedient to either the executive or legislative branches of government. It defeats the purpose of why they are there.
PW2, I agree. It is a check / balance - the legislative branch is there to make the laws and the judicial branch is there to uphold the laws. It is not the job of the judicial branch to make new laws or to re-interpret the Constitution, but to enforce the Constitution as the Founding Fathers intended.<br /><br />When the judiciary MAKES laws because that is the way they think it should be, then they become legislators and really mess up the balance of power.<br /><br />Personally, I want judges who will weigh each law the legislative branches make AGAINST THE Constitution (not their own feelings) and keep the legislators accountable.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Who cares? It is all politics, and BIG SURPRISE! They are liars, cheats, and theives.

aspeck

Staff member

But that is just it, NY! The Judiciary should not be politics. Leave that to the idiots in the Legislative branch.

D

DJ

Freind to Liberals, worldwide, is Chuck Schumer-(D) New York.<br /><br />His statement today was frightening.<br /><br />He said, as heard: we have to be careful as to who can MAKE LAW from the bench. So, Chuck, what the he!! are you doing in Washington?<br /><br />Geeze, Chucky, take a civics class. And you're a Senator? God help us.

Twidget

Commander

Personally, I want judges who will weigh each law the legislative branches make AGAINST THE Constitution (not their own feelings) and keep the legislators accountable.
BINGO!! That is exactly how it should be.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by aspeck:<br /> Yea, now it will be interesting to hear the Dems wine about him. He was a senate unanimous choice just 2 years ago for the DC court of appeals, I believe. <br /><br />12Footer - there you are, you have been missed!
Sorry for the absence, Aspeck. I was preoccupied, but "it's all good"...I guess. :rolleyes: <br />I'll hopefully be able to spend more time here again soon. I miss y'all too.