Breaking in Engine - How to?

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a used engine with a new powerhead that needs to be broken in. How do you go about doing this? Its a '87 V6 175hp if thats any help. Thanks!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Breaking in Engine - How to?

jacob<br /><br />This is straight out of the Factory OMC Manual.<br /><br />Mix fuel at a 25:1 ratio for the first 10 Hours. <br /><br />FIRST HOUR: For the first 5-10 Minutes, operate the engine at fast idle. Make sure the water pump is working. For the remainder of the first hour, operate boat on plane, but not over 3000 RPM's<br /><br />SECOND HOUR: Bring boat on plane and reduce power to 4000RPM's. At intervals during the second hour, apply full throttle for 1 to 2 minutes, then reduce to 4000RPM's. Change speeds every 15 Minutes.<br /><br />3-10 HOURS<br /><br />Avoid continuous full throttle operation for the next 8 hours. Change engine speed every 15 Minutes. <br /><br />AFTER 10 HOURS:<br /><br />Switch to 50:1 oil mixture and Retorque head bolts after cylinder has cooled.<br /><br />Then head out and run it normally...

angus63

Captain

This is how I boke in my 95 175hp oceanpro. Run 25:1 fuel/oil ratio for first 10 hrs. First hour do not exceed 2000 rpm and do not stay at any constant rpm for more than 1 minute. Hours 2-5 do not exceed 4000 rpm and do not run constant rpm for more than 5 minutes. Hour 5-10 you may open to wot for no more than 30 seconds and do not stay constant for more than 5 minutes. Do not cruise above 4000 for extended periods. After 10 hours is up, switch to 50:1, inspect plugs, compression, and head torque. I still kept it below 4000 for the next 10 hours but thats just me. You really should check the manual for that engine for any specific break-in recommendations. Good Luck

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys! I will still have to wait til it gets warmer to do it but at least I will no what Im doing. Thanks again!

ob15

Chief Petty Officer

jacob,<br /><br />While you're waiting for it to warm up, head down to the Horse in Fells Point & have one for me. Used to live up there & I miss that place.

jacob_smith14

Seaman Apprentice

Great live music and good crowd, I will have a couple for ya!

TPD211

Petty Officer 1st Class

After the 1st and 2nd hour do you guys stop and let the engine cool off to let the metal "seat" itself?<br />I break in PWC's this way, letting the motor sit for 30 minutes after an hour of run time to let the parts seat themselves.<br /><br />Just curious?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello <br /> if this motor is oil injected as it should be then you will need to alter your oil ratios to reflect that.<br /> good luck and keep posting

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I think what Rodbolt means is that if it's oil injected, premix your gas at 50:1 to get double oil. If it's not, premix at 24:1.<br /><br />Had a fisherman that changed boats like I change underwear...every two years whether he needed to or not. His break-in consisted of full throttle right out of the gate. If it didn't break, it was broke-in. :eek: (I would not advise that method!)