Breakfast Dishes and Biscuits

alldodge

Staff member
Most every Sunday morning I cook Breakfast, so I'm looking for new ideas for Two, can be for more but it's just us

Make a lot of Garbage Eggs:
Throw it diced/sliced potatoes, bell peppers, sausage/bacon, mushrooms, onion, other stuff
Cook till Spuds are getting a bit crisp on edges, then stir in 3 to 4 eggs

Used Pillsbury croissant casserole
Lay croissant in pan, put precooked sausage/bacon and other things like in Garbage eggs above, then add cheese and bake

Biscuits
I have yet to be able to make good biscuits. Tried Lard, Butter, frozen butter, new baking power, cut biscuits without turning cutter, several layers to a few layers. Watched several vids and tried duplicating but still they are edible but no way they are Hardees or Cracker Barrel

flashback

Captain
Biscuits are personal, I don't like Hardee or any other restaurants offering. My better half has a good southern game that to me is the best..

flashback

Captain
ok, What's the recipe ?
She's had a few beers but I promise she'll get back,, it's a simple quick bread but the key is to be gentle with the kneeding. . Over working the dough will make the biscuits tough..

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most every Sunday morning I cook Breakfast, so I'm looking for new ideas for Two, can be for more but it's just us

Make a lot of Garbage Eggs:
Throw it diced/sliced potatoes, bell peppers, sausage/bacon, mushrooms, onion, other stuff
Cook till Spuds are getting a bit crisp on edges, then stir in 3 to 4 eggs

Used Pillsbury croissant casserole
Lay croissant in pan, put precooked sausage/bacon and other things like in Garbage eggs above, then add cheese and bake

Biscuits
I have yet to be able to make good biscuits. Tried Lard, Butter, frozen butter, new baking power, cut biscuits without turning cutter, several layers to a few layers. Watched several vids and tried duplicating but still they are edible but no way they are Hardees or Cracker Barrel
I like salt cod on toast, or smoked mackerel or kippers on toast. My all time favorite is fried spawn filled caplin on toast, but I doubt you would get them where you are!

aspeck

Staff member
Have you ever tried baked oatmeal? It is pretty easy and quite yummy...

Mix together in a bowl:
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. Real Maple Syrup (or substitute 2/3 c. of brown or white sugar)
2 eggs, beaten

Then add:
3 c. dry oatmeal (NOT instant or quick)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
(You can also add fruit if you would like ... 1 mashed banana or any berry or diced apple or diced peach, etc to your taste level. We also like to add nut pieces for added protein ... pecans are our favorite, but walnuts, almonds, etc ... all good)

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until firm. Serve hot with milk. Yum.

aspeck

Staff member
I will also do a fritatta from time to time. I will fry sliced potatoes in an oven usable frying pan. towards the end of the frying I will add diced onions and peppers. Level the mixture on the bottom of the pan (or move to any baking dish you like ... I am lazy and like little cleanup so I use the frying pan) and then cover with the appropriate number of eggs that have been well whipped with about a cup of milk. Add about a cup of cheese of your choice and any other topping to the mix (cooked sausage crumbles, bacon, pepperoni, etc). Bake in oven until eggs are solid. Enjoy.

aspeck

Staff member
My daughter loves potato cakes with her eggs in the morning. When we have left over mashed potatoes I will add parsley and salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes, maybe a little garlic and sometimes a little grated cheese. Form the mashed potatoes into roundish patties about 1/2" thick. Roll them in flour and then fry them in oil, bacon grease, olive oil, or butter until they are golden brown. Serve with eggs any style.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My daughter loves potato cakes with her eggs in the morning. When we have left over mashed potatoes I will add parsley and salt and pepper to the mashed potatoes, maybe a little garlic and sometimes a little grated cheese. Form the mashed potatoes into roundish patties about 1/2" thick. Roll them in flour and then fry them in oil, bacon grease, olive oil, or butter until they are golden brown. Serve with eggs any style.
That sounds good! The baked oatmeal too!

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks, have done oats many times, the frying pan bake sounds like a good one

alldodge

Staff member
Have used crescent rolls and the bread to make a casserole kind of thing. Toss all kinds of things in with cheese and eggs comes out pretty good.

Would really like a fool proof biscuit recipe, this guy keeps fooling it up. Can't get it to rise enough even with fresh flower and baking power

flashback

Captain
Have used crescent rolls and the bread to make a casserole kind of thing. Toss all kinds of things in with cheese and eggs comes out pretty good.

Would really like a fool proof biscuit recipe, this guy keeps fooling it up. Can't get it to rise enough even with fresh flower and baking power
Flashbacks wife here. I learned to make biscuits from my southern mother. Here it is. 2 slightly heaping cups all purpose flour. Add 1 Tblspoon baking powder, 1/4 tspoon salt. Mix well. Add half stick 1/4 cup of butter cut in peices to flour mixture. You can even use lard. My mother did. Do not warm or melt butter! get a pastry blender and cut butter pieces into flour. Do this until it looks like coarse meal. Add about 1 cup buttermilk to mixture and stir with fork just until blended.Dough will gather up. Please Do Not over mix! This important, as it prevents tough biscuits. Nobody likes hockey pucks but hockey players! Flour a counter top lightly. Place dough onto floured surface and begin flattening dough to about 1/2 inch to an inch or so. Depending on your preference for height. Now, fold in half, and flatten again. do this one more time. I don't use a rollong pin because i feel it over works dough. Get a biscuit cutter or rim of drinking glass an begin cutting. Do no twist when you cut, go straight down. Cut them closely together. you will end up with dough scraps. Simply mix and flatten. cut what you have left. If you still have scraps,make what my mom calls a cathead biscuit, my favorite one. Preheat oven to 425 F. bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or tops are golden. And your good to go. It's not always foolproof, but they always taste good. Let me know how it turns out. I hope this helps. It's nice to know someone else is enjoying my mom's biscuit. We kids loved these. I also make her cornbread.

alldodge

Staff member
Flashbacks wife here. I learned to make biscuits from my southern mother. Here it is. 2 slightly heaping cups all purpose flour. Add 1 Tblspoon baking powder, 1/4 tspoon salt. Mix well. Add half stick 1/4 cup of butter cut in peices to flour mixture. You can even use lard. My mother did. Do not warm or melt butter! get a pastry blender and cut butter pieces into flour. Do this until it looks like coarse meal. Add about 1 cup buttermilk to mixture and stir with fork just until blended.Dough will gather up. Please Do Not over mix! This important, as it prevents tough biscuits. Nobody likes hockey pucks but hockey players! Flour a counter top lightly. Place dough onto floured surface and begin flattening dough to about 1/2 inch to an inch or so. Depending on your preference for height. Now, fold in half, and flatten again. do this one more time. I don't use a rollong pin because i feel it over works dough. Get a biscuit cutter or rim of drinking glass an begin cutting. Do no twist when you cut, go straight down. Cut them closely together. you will end up with dough scraps. Simply mix and flatten. cut what you have left. If you still have scraps,make what my mom calls a cathead biscuit, my favorite one. Preheat oven to 425 F. bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or tops are golden. And your good to go. It's not always foolproof, but they always taste good. Let me know how it turns out. I hope this helps. It's nice to know someone else is enjoying my mom's biscuit. We kids loved these. I also make her cornbread.
I'll give it a try but it's real close to several recipes tried before. I do all these things and still wind up with barely risen hokey pucks

alldodge

Staff member
Wonder if it has anything to do with a convection oven instead of regular oven?

flashback

Captain
Just found my answer, convection is faster but that's not good for baking. Hope my hockey puck days are over
I think you got it. Our old cabin has the original old oven which we use for biscuits. We also have a toaster oven with convection and it doesn't do well on baked goods..

Good luck!

aspeck

Staff member
Wonder if it has anything to do with a convection oven instead of regular oven?
My wife (she’s the baker, I cook) informed me in no uncertain terms to NEVER bake with convection. She also does not like a gas oven … she claims an electric oven cooks more evenly. That is why we have a dual fuel stove … gas top for me and electric oven for her …

alldodge

Staff member
My wife (she’s the baker, I cook) informed me in no uncertain terms to NEVER bake with convection. She also does not like a gas oven … she claims an electric oven cooks more evenly. That is why we have a dual fuel stove … gas top for me and electric oven for her …
And now me to, tell her thanks much
Hope to do better

flashback

Captain
That sounds alot like us. My wife does the chemistry for the biscuits while I whip up some sausage gravy.. then enjoy!