Breaker switch question

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys-

My pool isn't getting any power and I think it's the breaker on the electrical panel. I think that because the property owner stated that it's been acting up over the past year or two. They told me which breaker switch they think goes to the pool, but when I shut it off the kitchen appliances turn off.

So, how do I figure out which breaker goes to the pool? I know I can turn breakers off one at a time to see what turns off, but isn't there a better way?

Thanks.

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: Breaker switch question

LOL, seriously. Licking your fingers and hoping you're not grounded is the only other way I know. Works best if you have fillings in your teeth. The taste of the metal will let you know if it's hot or not. Oh,, but that won't tell you what breaker it is.. Humm, looks like your stuck doing it the right way.. Humor intened. Popping the breaker or removing it is the best and safest way. If there is a problem you probably want to call an electrician. 220 can get confusing if you haven't worked with it before.

Just so ya know. Pool filter/Skimmer pumps are 220 frame grounded motors. Two hots and a frame ground to a nearby grounding rod is the way it's supposed to be done. They probably got the 220 off the oven circuit. It should have been run from a separate single throw dual breaker at the main panel and out to a subpanel with the ground isolated from the neutral.

tcscobra

Recruit

It is always worthwhile to turn on everything and then when you shut off each breaker you can label it correctly. Breakers can be loose and just have to be pushed in tight or can be bad altogether.

dolluper

Captain

Sounds like redneck wiring call a electrication bill the owner or let him do it and get zapped

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you can get to the wiring on the pool's pump, take a volt/ohm's meter set to AC volts, ground your black lead and touch the red lead to the "hot" wires coming into the pump one at a time. If it's 220v, you will have 2 hots (usually 1 red and 1 black), touch one lead at a time with the red meter lead. Each "hot" wire should show 110 to 120 volts. If it's 110, you will only have 1 hot wire (usually black) and you will have 110 to 120 volts on that wire. Turn off 1 breaker at a time, until you have identified which breaker goes to the pool. Once you find the right braker, you will no longer have power to the pump. It's best to check and double check with the meter.

Once you have identified the right breaker, you can remove it from the breaker box. Carefully remove the wire (s) from the breaker. Most breakes are easy to remove. They can be "popped" off the buss bar and they will pull out of the box. Be extremely careful!!! DO NOT TOUCH THE BUSS BAR!! I recommend turning off the main breaker in the box before doing anything in the box. It's usually on the top and marker "main". You can check the breaker with the meter set to ohms once it is removed, but that will not always tell you if it's "bad". Most breakers are relatively cheap to replace. Take it with you to your local electrical supply store, Lowes or HD. There are several different brands. Some are not made anymore and can be hard to find. The contacts that lock into the buss bar can become loose due to age. I have seen breakers that test good on a meter but they will not carry the load causing problems.

Hope this helps you some. If you have any questions, just post them on here or PM me and I'll be glad to try to help you. Good luck!

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another thought before you tear into the breaker box. Check all the grounds. If the pool's pump is grounded to a rod, check the connections that attatch to the ground rod and the pool pump. You should also have a ground (bare copper) and neutral (white) wire running back to the breaker box. Pull the cover off the breaker box and tighten all the lug screws in the neutral bar and the ground bar. They can loosen up over time from heating up and cooling off. That may be the problem. I've seen it several times.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a hot tub that runs on an independent circuit that is a special GFIC breaker box.

The 220 has a breaker in the main panel which runs an independent line to the special GFIC breaker box which is located near the hot tub.

Honest answer...... if you are unsure and not fully comfortable........ get an electrician in for at least advise. My friends home burned to the ground in Jan this year from an electrical fire.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Not sure what you mean when referring to"the property owner"....are you renting?
If so, it should be the landlord's problem.

In any event, while I do most of my own electrical repairs, for a host of reasons (not least of which is the fact that the original installation sounds a bit "iffy"....I think one poster used the term "red-neck wiring) because it is a swimming pool I would want the work done by a licensed electrical contractor.....this job is not the best candidate for DIY status.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the input. I'm either going to have my 10 year old do it or I'll call an electrician.

bigdee

Commander

Without seeing your application I do not think it is wise to use this forum to solve your problem. You need someone who knows the code to physically be there to diagnose the problem. Swimming pool wiring has been a complex issue with the NEC and there is a review going on about changing the current procedures of grounding and bonding.

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL, seriously. Licking your fingers and hoping you're not grounded is the only other way I know. Works best if you have fillings in your teeth. The taste of the metal will let you know if it's hot or not. Oh,, but that won't tell you what breaker it is.. Humm, looks like your stuck doing it the right way.. Humor intened. Popping the breaker or removing it is the best and safest way. If there is a problem you probably want to call an electrician. 220 can get confusing if you haven't worked with it before.

Just so ya know. Pool filter/Skimmer pumps are 220 frame grounded motors. Two hots and a frame ground to a nearby grounding rod is the way it's supposed to be done. They probably got the 220 off the oven circuit. It should have been run from a separate single throw dual breaker at the main panel and out to a subpanel with the ground isolated from the neutral.

Assuming a lot aren't you? Some pool pumps are 120V. And the grounding wire should run back to the panel.