break in mode

racerone

Supreme Mariner
My kristell ball is broken.----What motor do you have ?----Why does it need " break in " here.

onthebank333

Recruit
150 optimax i put new compressor on it i uesd the shift lever methed to prime the compreddor with oil it put the motor into break in mode so now it keep fileing out my plugs

tommarvin

Ensign
You bought a new motor and your doing the break-in?
What new compressor did you put on it?
The break-in mode is do you mean fowling out your plugs?

Fun Times

Staff member
OPTIMAX FAQ?S What is the proper break-in procedure for an OptiMax outboard?
Break-in is important to insure correct engine performance and life. Follow the procedure listed in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual. Generally, for the first two hours we recommend avoiding extended periods of idle or wide-open throttle, or holding the engine at one speed for extended periods of time. New two-stroke engines require additional oil during break-in; OptiMax engines use programming inside the computer to increase the oil mixture during the specified break-in period.
Break-in procedures are described in the Operation, Maintenance and Warranty Manual supplied with each engine. Use the Bookshelf link on the Mercury Dockstore page if you need to place an order for a replacement manual.
http://www.mercuryracing.com/product-tabs/outboard-faq/
The break-in procedure for the optimax's are thought to last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours of careful operation judging by the info found thus far in an owners manual and Merc's Questions and Answers found online but my memory keeps thinking it takes 10 hours of ECM run time for it to automatically stop......And/or though I'm not positive of this but I think there was a setting within the mercury DDT scan tool that gave an option for the break-in procedure...Either it was On or Off or Time Setting option ....It's been to long since using that tool so I don't recall the details exactly.

This archived iboats topic tends to help indicate that it will be some hours before getting out of the break-in procedure which 10 hours comes to my mind for some reason or another.... http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...timax-2000-model-issues?p=4877660#post4877660

Since you used the throttle control handle to reset the beginning break-in procedure, it seems the best way around this would be to take a full day off work and go boating at speed for the entire day just by yourself running around the lake following the break-in procedure noted below or on page 47 and see if that helps solve the fouling issue.:)

From Page 47, http://marine-uae.ru/wp-content/upl...ARD USER MANUAL 250XS OPTIMAX _ 841174060.pdf
OPERATION
Engine Break‑in
! CAUTION Severe damage to the engine can result by not complying with the engine break‑in procedure. Engine damage may not be covered by the limited warranty. ! WARNING Avoid loss of boat control or an unsafe boat handling situation. Increasing trim under can place greater load on an engine and enhance breakin. At higher speeds, increasing trim under could produce a dangerous boat handling situation. It is the boat operator?s responsibility to always drive in a safe manner.
Break‑in Procedure Always vary throttle settings during Break‑in 1st Hour ? Allow engine to warm‑up for 30 ‑ 60 seconds. ? Do not idle for more than 5 minutes ? Run the engine the majority of the time between 4000 ‑ 5400 RPM (approximately three quarter throttle). ? Change engine speed approximately every two (2) minutes. ? Avoid trimming the outboard out (up) beyond a vertical trim position during operation. ? Avoid using hydraulic jack plate (if equipped) to raise engine during break‑in cycle. Next 3 Hours: Change engine speed every 10 minutes. Engine Break‑in Fuel Mixture ! CAUTION Avoid engine damage. Do not add oil to the gasoline in the fuel tank. The Propulsion Control Module (PCM) controls oil and fuel mixture during engine break‑in.