200hp optimax 2000 model issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i have a 2000 model optimax 200hp that is using to much oil the dealer has had it plugged in and says he cant find anything.Problem is im in Australia and this engine is impoted was not a engine that was sold here:( is this a common issue?

Also the fuel rails are corroded if anyone knows where i might be able to buy them online would be much aprecitaed.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 200hp optimax 2000 model issues

There is a fitting that allows air into the oil system,it's on the block where the oil feed line hooks to the motor.Not the supply line the other end.
It could be bad.It's a valve that allows some air into the oil system.Yet allows it to bleed off too.
If it's not letting it bleed it forces more oil into the VS.Making it use more oil.
Hope what I said makes sense.
Always include the serial# model.and any other info that might help identify the motor.
With the serial# I could get you a part#.
Boats.net Has this:part#7 This is the part but not sure if it's the part U need.
Mercury Outboard Parts 200 (DFI) 3.0L 0T801000 THRU 1B417701 Cylinder Block and End Cap Diagram Jerry

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The 3.0 L Opti does not mix oil as the oil pump pumps directly to crankcase. If the motor has been put back into break-in mode it will use extra oil as will oil/air line reversed as it will put oil into # 6 cylinder. If reversed oil tank on engine will not stay full.It possible it could be a faulty ECU but doubt it. Are the fuel rails corroded externally or internally? If externally you can clean them up and have anodized. it will still have pitts but it stops all corrosion in its tracks. If internally you can clean with rifle cleaning rod and brush and flush with fresh water after uses.

Thanks guys Faztbullet i think your correct 100% its going into break in mode problem is how do i get it out of that?? i have been quoted $3700 for both fuel rails i will try the anodizing first or try an source them stateside.

what do you mean with "reversed the oil tank will not stay full"?

thanks for your help!!!im really stuck with this as the engine not being one that was sold here in Australia

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

what do you mean with "reversed the oil tank will not stay full"?

If the air/oil lines from onboard(boat) oil tank to engine fittings are reversed. The fuel rails are pricey so repair if you can. You can check Ebay for rails as they are on there from time to time. The break in mode is for 2 hours and it only "double oils" above 2000-2500 rpm if I remember correctly.Idling around will not reduce the breakin time.

The oiling has been an issue for a while now well over 2 hours,I brought it with 200hrs but the owner said it had had a panel change and hours not correct.

Is there another way to get around this problem??

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The Merc dealer can run your serial # and see what updates was performed on engine and when. He can also check hours with laptop/DDT.

Trouble is the optimax engines were not sold in Australia,Having no luck with the local small merc dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.