Break in advice on re-hubbed prop

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice
First a little background. I have a "new to me" 1994 120hp Johnson with a 13 1/2x22 SS Raker prop. Liked it alot, but spun the hub out within 3 months my ownership. Just figured it was old, as it spent more time out of the water than in it. Took it to a local prop guy and had it rehubbed. The job lasted less than two days. He said he installed a hub for an AL prop by mistake and would fix it for me again, N/C. That job took over two months(he said he couldn't find a hub to fit?) and after wheedleing and whining finally was completed and lasted less than three hours. I hit nothing, was not into sand or heavy weeds. Dopey thing just lets loose.<br /><br />I have taken my problem child to a different guy. He rehubbed it while I waited............... Wow!<br />When I settled up, the gal at the register said to go easy on it for a bit until he new hub was "broken in". I asked what that meant and she just said, no hard throttling and medium speeds for the first few hours of operation. I am still not sure what exactly is required here and would look to you experts for some more comprehensive advice.<br /><br />In addition, I am wondering if any of you have some insight as to why I am spinning these hubs right and left? It's not only adding up $$$wise, it's just plain inconvienient. I know that this V-4 is a torque monster and is it possible that simply getting on it frequently is too much for a conventional hub? Any thoughts here are greatly appreciated.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Break in advice on re-hubbed prop

Anyone ever Mic the inside of your prop, maybe its worn too much to hold the hub! Im just guessing. Cant imagine what she ment about basically breaking in your new hub, either its right or its not. To me its like breaking in new wheels. :confused:

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

When I had my through the hub exhaust aluminum prop hub replaced by a local reputable shop last year the reworked prop had a sticker on it that said to use it at idle speed for 5 minutes to seat the hub before applying power. I don't know why but assumed it had something to do with the exhaust temp. I followed the instructions and used it for a year with no problems.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

WHAT? You don't break in your new wheels??? :eek:

walleyehed

Admiral

When a prop is re-hubbed, I find it best to stay at low throttle settings for the first 15-20 minutes....don't drop the hammer in other words.<br />You don't have to Idle around, but don't get to the point of loading it like you would trying to get on plane. Load it, just not "That" much...<br />Make a nice, smooth transition to plane after 20 min. or so, and you should be fine from there.

CATransplant

Admiral

Interesting information. Thanks, walleyehead.

esox_xtm

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the speedy replies! I'll be on the water in the next day or so. Let you know how this all turns out.................

timmathis

Lieutenant

Make sure you have the right thrust washer.