Bravo trim rams on a pre-Alpha (MC-1)

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
ok, I got had on Ebay.... bought a set of trim rams that were advertised as for a Alpha One XD, but the part number comes back as Bravo rams (98703A26, 98704A26).... the bushings are ginormous on this, and as such my through bolts are too short....

Seller does not accept returns, and shipped like crap anyways (box covered in hyd oil, no padding and the rams coming through the box) so would prefer to not deal with an idiot arguing about application (he has other "alpha one XD rams" on ebay that are the same thing....)

is there a combination of parts that would allow me to use these rams, or do I have a pair of useless (for me) paperweights..... I know I need new bushings and washers in the correct size, but what about the through bolts? are they available in a different application longer to account for the thicker bushings (bravo bolts maybe? or are they too long....)

other option is to eat the cost of the rams, chalk it up to "experience" and get some vaseline.....

Scott06

Admiral
ok, I got had on Ebay.... bought a set of trim rams that were advertised as for a Alpha One XD, but the part number comes back as Bravo rams (98703A26, 98704A26).... the bushings are ginormous on this, and as such my through bolts are too short....

Seller does not accept returns, and shipped like crap anyways (box covered in hyd oil, no padding and the rams coming through the box) so would prefer to not deal with an idiot arguing about application (he has other "alpha one XD rams" on ebay that are the same thing....)

is there a combination of parts that would allow me to use these rams, or do I have a pair of useless (for me) paperweights..... I know I need new bushings and washers in the correct size, but what about the through bolts? are they available in a different application longer to account for the thicker bushings (bravo bolts maybe? or are they too long....)

other option is to eat the cost of the rams, chalk it up to "experience" and get some vaseline.....
Did you tell the seller they were miss advertised? If they did nothing I would contact eBay if they were advertised incorrectly.
when I recently sold a machine thru ebay for work ebay held the money until the buyer left positive feedback. Likely you have more leverage than you think if the part was misrepresented.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
its gonna come down to part numbers, which the seller conveniently didnt list..... as I said, the seller didnt bother to ship properly, and has a few other sets of the same rams listed currently..... since Mercruiser changes part numbers like I change my underwear, there is probably some obscure application that doesnt show up on the usual sources that makes this chucker right....... He also shows as "no returns" and return shipping is on my dime (and I would need to get a box, PROPERLY package them, etc.....) is just one more "why bother" and "can I actually use them" thing..... IMHO, Ebay is good for some things, but for others is completely useless....

in the end, Ill blacklist this seller (the parts were listed as "some corrosion" but are pretty much scrap IMHO..... and had a "craigslist rebuild" done on them which may have smoked the end seals)......for the 75 bucks I paid..... ill likely consider it a lesson and move on... Im already pissed at the post office for taking nearly 3 weeks sitting on the parts in Phoenix... I could have walked down there, picked them up, and walked back in that amount of time.....

Scott06

Admiral
its gonna come down to part numbers, which the seller conveniently didnt list..... as I said, the seller didnt bother to ship properly, and has a few other sets of the same rams listed currently..... since Mercruiser changes part numbers like I change my underwear, there is probably some obscure application that doesnt show up on the usual sources that makes this chucker right....... He also shows as "no returns" and return shipping is on my dime (and I would need to get a box, PROPERLY package them, etc.....) is just one more "why bother" and "can I actually use them" thing..... IMHO, Ebay is good for some things, but for others is completely useless....

in the end, Ill blacklist this seller (the parts were listed as "some corrosion" but are pretty much scrap IMHO..... and had a "craigslist rebuild" done on them which may have smoked the end seals)......for the 75 bucks I paid..... ill likely consider it a lesson and move on... Im already pissed at the post office for taking nearly 3 weeks sitting on the parts in Phoenix... I could have walked down there, picked them up, and walked back in that amount of time.....
I think you are giving up too easy. if the seller advertise them as alpha one or MC1 cylinders and you can prove they are not by part number it is 100% worth reaching out to the seller and asking him to exchange. If he doesn’t make it right what do you have to lose by contacting ebay.
personally and professionally I buy and sell a lot on eBay and never had a transaction where there was an issue not get resolved.