Bravo steering cable will not come out

apickens99

Recruit
Good evening. I am trying to replace the failed steering cable on my 1998 Mariah 272 with a bravo 1 sterndrive and ran into an issue... When I try to pull the stern end of cable out of the guide tube on the actuator it hits on the boats stringer/hull and will not come out Has anyone experienced this and have suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Remove the 2 bolts outa the guide tube mount, to get it outa there,......

apickens99

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... Remove the 2 bolts outa the guide tube mount, to get it outa there,......
Bondo thanks for the reply! Not sure what two bolts out of the guide tube you are referring to? I attached a schematic of the valve if you could provide some clarification?

Attachments

• Annotation 2021-11-30 114120.png
    Annotation 2021-11-30 114120.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 10

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... There's only one bolt shown in yer picture, the second one is directly below that one, upside-down,.....

apickens99

Recruit
Ok so it is the big silver bolts that hold the whole actuator in place.... I see... that'll be fun to get out :)

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Those bolts and the pin that's holding the clevis to the steering arm of the outdrive, if you want the whole actuator assembly to be able to move freely to get enough space. I guess you already got the pin for the cable out. I'm thinking you should have enough slack in the hydraulic hoses to not have to disconnect them, hopefully.
I think Merc used locking tabs on those big bolts, whereas OMC and Volvo used big cotter pins. I fought with those cotter pins for several hours when I replaced my actuator a couple of months ago. Patience is needed, because access in this job is difficult at best. The bottom bolt, do like I did and put something over the opening of the Y pipe so nothing happens to fall down there lol which can ruin your day!

Do yourself a favor, once you replace the old cable each season, turn the helm to extend the cable out of the guide tube and grease it good with marine grease. I did this every year (owned this boat 19 years so far) and when I disconnected the pins to replace the actuator the cable moved like it was brand new, and I think this is the original 1988 cable!

Attachments

• steerng actuator removal.jpg
    steerng actuator removal.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9