Bravo lll shift adjustement

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I guess the title is mis leading- I found after I put my outdrive back on without the proper adjustment it's hard to shift.

I recall on the bearing puller there was a way to set that end of the cable and then there is another tool to set the other end of the cable. I believe there was a work around for the tool up top with a measurement. I'd guess there be one for the lower too.
So my delima, and I know the correct answer, can I play around with the adjustment up top and get it shifting smoothly again?
I probably need to yank the drive and check the alignment from when I put the motor back in- it was not pleasant doing that by myself...
Can I pressure test the outdrive myself? I have a pancake compressor I can set the pressure on...I think I have a couple of different pressure gauges..I don't want to blow 5 grand apart...

Fun Times

Staff member
Here’s a way to adjust the cable that ought to be without having to remove the stern drive with an affordable tool should everything be okay down by the stern drive area,

And if desired to know, the following is basically a documentary of how to change a Bravo shift cable, should you find they need to have to do so.

Did you do anything with the cable (or drive) service wise when the drive was removed?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes you can pressure test the drive but note no more then 7 psi and 5 is better.

Can also adjust the shift up top by hand. With motor running and cable disconnected more cable in/out to find the middle in neutral. Now it should just slide into position

tpenfield

Staff member
A bicycle pump may be better than a powered compressor for getting to 5 psi.

As stated, that adjustment is really at the top of the shift cable using the adjustment tool. The only trick at the lower end is to get the end of the cable into its location in the linkage 'jaws'.

Going the engine alignment is one of my least favorite jobs, but the penalty of failure is quite high.

rickasbury

Here’s a way to adjust the cable that ought to be without having to remove the stern drive with an affordable tool should everything be okay down by the stern drive area,

And if desired to know, the following is basically a documentary of how to change a Bravo shift cable, should you find they need to have to do so.

Did you do anything with the cable (or drive) service wise when the drive was removed?
I replaced the lower shift cable only. It shifted smooth as butter before...it does not grind or anything but the handle works hard....
That tool is the tool I mention, but it only works if the other end of the cable is set right- which unfortunately it is not. Thanks for posting though!

rickasbury

Yes you can pressure test the drive but note no more then 7 psi and 5 is better.

Can also adjust the shift up top by hand. With motor running and cable disconnected more cable in/out to find the middle in neutral. Now it should just slide into position
That is not much psi...I have a bike pump with a Guage on it...what does a shop use I wonder? I will try to hand adjust from the top.

Fun Times

Staff member
what does a shop use I wonder?
Typically if someone doesn't create their own, the shops i've seen will spend some money at buying quality tools from a reputable place such as Stevens Instruments Gearcase Pressure and vacuum Testers, https://www.stevensinstrument.com/shop

Or CDI has a nice one too,

^ If you are in need of some gear case adaptor kits then you could see some while scrolling through the above link too.

Searching online Mercruiser sterndrive pressure check pump offers a list of other adaptive ways.

alldodge

Staff member
As Ted mentioned, hand pump is better and I use a hand pump my self

The reason you don't want much pressure is as the pressure increases the lip seal do seal tighter. So you want just a little pressure to find out if it will leak with just gear lube