BRAVO-ITIS Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

alldodge

Staff member
Replacing my pretty much everything rubber and plastic on my Rinker after 21 years, and decided to install the fix for Bravoitis. I didn't have an issue being in fresh water, but for those who boat in salt water, sooner of later this will probably be needed.

No pics for disassembly, just the install. Using Merc part number kit 32-8M0090859
Photo1035.jpg

Kit comes with the quick connect hose in for newer drives and the older style like mine. Also comes with a tool kit to install the new bushing and plastic hose. Instructions are not bad but did find some issue which should watch for.
Photo1037.jpg

Says to install the new bushing on the inside and then place the plate and two screws to hold it. Only install the screws a couple turns, installing it tighter makes it harder to push the pipe in. Merc suggest mixing up soap and water and use to lube, which I did, and it was heavy on the soap. That said I always use straight Dawn soap to lube boots and such but tried it their way.

Could use someone inside while doing it to help, but I just climbed in and out I don't know how many times. Used the rubber end of a hammer handle to push it in. Need to be careful with pushing with anything other then your hands. The plastic pipe is thin walled and can dent.

Pics not great but this is the setup. Also is best to turn the helm full to the left to gain more access.
Photo1039.jpg

After trying three times, remove everything, re setup and try again, I used straight Dawn soap and then slid in. Need to stick with what I know works. My pipe slid further then needed, so just push it back to where it is even with the end of the plate. Then tighten the bolts down to compress the bushing in. It says so may in lb, so I set my fingers.

Strongly recommend using ratchet wrenches, without them you are going to have more trouble.

Guess if it ever needs done again you could cut the hose clamp, and install just the hose, but that is for another day

Photo1041.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Nice job. Nice write up.

Chris......

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks Chris

Hope it helps a couple folks, Forgot one pic. This is the pic after the compression on the plate and it should show about 1/4 inch of the plastic hose

Photo1040.jpg

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just done the same job on my Sea Ray 230 with 7.4 ltr V8 in place. A hard job to get to the lowest bolt but with short wrenches doable.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
.... A hard job to get to the lowest bolt but with short wrenches doable.

That was the worst part when I did my last year and a combination of short wrenches and open/box end finally got it tight.
Not sure if you tried this, but I got a bolt of the same thread, cut off the head, screwed that in a few threads then used that to support the bottom of the cover while I got the top bolt most of the way down.
Removed that bottom 'support' bolt, then was able to get the real bolt to the same snugness as the top bolt for then final tightening.

Mark

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recognizable but I did this with the bolts in place, Tried to get one thread in en after I was successful I tightened the top one and lower one two turn at time. Took me about 45 minutes but I was happy when it was finished. Everyone who've done this knows why you have to pay top $ for it. Or just remove the engine and do this in 15 minutes tops (incl coffee break for 10 minutes :))

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I went with the hardin kit. To the end hose that bolts to the transom is different.. there is no plastic curb piece.. just rubber that curves into the transom and then it has the fitting tightened on it. I m having a he'll of a time making the fitting hose go all the way into the transom on the engine side.. does it suppose to be very tight or slide in easy? Wish I would have went with the kit you used.. seems alot easier of a install.

alldodge

Staff member
I didn't find the same type kit at Hardin, didn't look a lot either. Can you post a link of the kit you purchased?

alldodge

Staff member
That's not the same kit I used. Have not installed on like it so not real sure of how it goes on. I'm thinking the hose is feed thru from inside to out. Not sure just a guess

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
........I'm thinking the hose is feed thru from inside to out. Not sure just a guess

You guessed right as I was intrigued with that design as I used the same kit you did and from their instructions it says to feed from the inside....which would be extremely easy but with the engine in the boat and the limited space, it will be interesting to find out how easy that really was...

7) FEED THE REPAIR ASSEMBLY FROM THE ENGINE SIDE UNTIL IT IS 1" FROM THE GASKET SURFACE.
(The hose is permanently fixed to the fitting and is clocked into position so once it is routed thru the
transom it will line up perfectly. Yes this hose is heat shrinked and cannot be moved if needed. As far as
the water fitting is concerned normally they are reusable unless they are cracked or somehow destroyed.)

jmarines

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was fairly easy to feed it through the transom... just had to bend the hose... I sprayed some wd40 on the hose and it slide right it.

Merasheen

Recruit
I am just replacing my water intake hose kit and I was wondering how to get the hose released from inside the transom when the hose has collapsed and I cannot use the tool. As you know, space is super limited and so are my options. Would I ever release it from the outside by pulling on the hose?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.