Bravo 3

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been trying to chase a, I guess you can call it hard shifting in my bravo three. When I reinstalled the drive, I noticed that the drive was in gear. And then disconnected the shift cable from the motor mount and manually tried to shift it with a pair of vise grips and it would just not budge 1 inch so I pulled the driver off took the driveshaft gears out in the top part of them apart and I found this part in the video seems really loose, could this be my problem?

Attachments

• IMG_9339.MOV
    26.7 MB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The Bravo is designed so it only shifts when the upper is turning (motor running). Trying to shift with motor not running is very hard

The slop in the parts is not an issue because the shift shaft is removed. The center piece is slotted

If it shifts hard when motor is running then the upper shaft and clutch is probably needs polishing or replacement

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok well I did try to shift it when the Motor is running, still same result..I even disconnected the cable from the mount at the motor while it was running and still same result…I noticed while drive was off & covers removed that it would go into forward ok but would have a hell of a time going out of forward into neutral or reverse

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
I took the whole assembly out but how do I separate it and what do I look for?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know your drive serial number or year, but you need the Merc manual, either 11 or 28

There are keepers on the top of the gear that get removed so the parts separate

Fun Times

Staff member
How does the inside look, Any water/rust signs at the rear/back cap.. A bit more common would be the detent not working properly which is items 3, 14/15 https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30968/5398/100

With the drive removed, dose the shift cable seem okay between the engine and drive?

Without moving the prop shaft or driveshaft U-joint assembly the drive sometimes may shift one-way easy "one time" but hard to move the other way every time thereafter unless turning it even by hand.

If you take the upper a part you'll need to align the gear marks...Service manual will be needed if you aren't already using one for your drive seral number range.

alldodge

Staff member
I don't have 39 but appears to be for newer sweep back type

There have been several changes over the years with the Bravo. Some where gears, oiling, springs and cone issues

Your looking to see if there is slop and/or scoring. Some have been able to have the shaft polished and get it going again. The polishing helps but most don't last forever

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I did notice that when the drive is removed and cover removed the long arm that hooks onto the cable itself seems to be hard to go into gear

alldodge

Staff member
That year range would be manual 11
Your range puts the drive into some big changes. When the drive is split, match it up to the pic and see where yours is

Attachments

• Bravo Compatibility.jpg
    Bravo Compatibility.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 12

alldodge

Staff member
It all comes down to numbers. Even without splitting you have no idea how its built. There are numbers and/or marks on the gears that can help identify, but it still has to come apart

alldodge

Staff member
Dont think so

Also don't understand the reluctantance. It splits easy, gears come out easy once drive mut is removed

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine isn’t a delayed shift, mine just won’t seem to go into gear at all, even when I disconnect the shift cable from the motor and start the motor and manually try to push and pull on the wire with some vice grips it just won’t budge. But when I tear the back cover plate off I noticed that it Seems to be getting stuck or hung up in forward gear, I could put it into reverse fine and coming out of reverse is fine and neutral but when I go into forward and try to come out of forward that’s when she gets hung up.