Bravo 3 seawater pump won't draw water on muffs

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After returning from a trip on the Hudson River a little while back, I was flushing the engine on muffs and was concerned when it took about 30 sec for water to start flowing out of the engine. This boat has a 350 MAG Bravo 3. Having bought the boat last fall, I had planned to change the seawater pump impeller anyway. That sucker is way down in there, but with some good online advise, plenty of time head first in the engine compartment, and several episodes of choice words, I was able to remove the pump only to find the impeller was in reasonable shape. It had some memory (paddles bent over after removed) so I replaced the impeller with new and installed the pump. All satisfied with the success, I added the muffs and had a real difficult time getting the boat to draw water through the engine. I tried several things. I was finally successful after removing a cooling hose from the top of the engine and "priming" the pump by refilling the engine et al with water, replacing the hose, and then starting on muffs. Of course, I had drained the water earlier to do the work. None of this seems too good. However, I have had no problems with engine overheat on the water. By now, I was concerned the new impeller was burnt, so out the pump came again. Surprisingly, not problem with the impeller. I guess assembling with vasoline helped. This time, I payed a little closer attention to wear in the pump casing and other online accounts of Bravo 3 pumps (a la It is a long way from the water intake, and there is no wear plate) Pictures clearly show wear and water does seep easily from output to input if the pump is not turning. This suggests it won't draw water without prime. I am not surprised; this pump has 650 hours.

- Have others had trouble getting a Bravo 3 to draw water on muffs? Is there a trick?
- I found what appears to be a couple retrofit wearplate options, but this only seems to provide for the backing plate and not the pump housing. I am not sure how well it works since it is a retrofit solution. Any first hand accounts?
- So should I bite the bullet for a new pump; is it money well spent? Any other recommendations?
- New pumps seem to come absent the pulley. Will this work for the switch? Pulley Remover and Installer Set

It will soon be my first aniversay as a boat owner, and I have spent may hours learning from the much more experienced folks here. Very much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 2

jserr68594

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bravo 3 seawater pump won't draw water on muffs

I had similar issues with a Bravo 1. After some research, this seems quite common. My solution was to cut a 55 gallon plastic drum in half with the hose running water into the drum. It worked perfect and I did not have to worry about the impeller!

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had similar issues with a Bravo 1. After some research, this seems quite common. My solution was to cut a 55 gallon plastic drum in half with the hose running water into the drum. It worked perfect and I did not have to worry about the impeller!
That would help keep my yard from turning into a small lake while flushing.

Maybe a flush kit would be better? I haven't investigated that yet.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi there, With those grooves, you definitely are in need of a new pump housing or a rebuild kit of your choice.

Also when you run you engine on the garden hose be sure to run the engine at the recommended RPM of 1300 RPM.

Some times the bravo 3's need a priming sequence. In the link below are a few tips to know.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...iii-seawater-pump-photos-question-586061.html

Here's one other pump housing option to consider,
Hardin Marine - Mercury Sea Pumps

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Some times the bravo 3's need a priming sequence. In the link below are a few tips to know.
http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...iii-seawater-pump-photos-question-586061.html

I love it when FT references that forum post as it includes my post #3 of the kit that is installed on my Sea Ray and I don't have to search for the part number.
Install that and you'll never have an issue having water in the system before starting up again.

Mark

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Here's one other pump housing option to consider,
Hardin Marine - Mercury Sea Pumps

Installed one of the Hardin pumps on my 454 Bravo One (I know, different body than the Bravo 3, but) and it works like a charm. I have a raw water pressure gauge installed on mine and the pressure almost doubled when over 3000 rpm. Pulls a suction immediately and I don't worry about the cracked / worn plastic pump bodies any more.

A polished stainless steel perminent pump body that costs about the same as 3 fragile, throw away, plastic ones. Was a no brainer for me.

Thalasso

Commander

You have to remember there is a static water line involved. On the muffs the water has to be solely sucked up because there might not be enough pressure and or water volume as when setting in the water. In the water the level is above the impeller

Fun Times

Staff member

Wish I had one of those. Or a low pressure alarm. :)
What year is your boat because you should have an alarm built into the MPI system just judging by the impeller housing you have.

The sensor should be mounted on the power steering cooler. See item number 16,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=12840&bnbr=280&bdesc=Steering+Components

If it goes off, the engine may go into guardian mode.

Also if you installed something like a smartcraft mercmonitor gateway gauge, then you would be able to read the water pressure.

Example, MercMonitor | Mercury Marine

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wish I had one of those. Or a low pressure alarm. :)

Very easy to install. I drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT hole into the inlet chamber of the thermostat housing and installed a 90 degree 1/8" hose fitting into it. Then ran a hose from there to a 30 psi water gauge for an outboard. Took me all of an hour to do and works like a champ. There is a deffinate differance in pressure, at that point, between running on muffs and and sitting in the water. Higher pressure while boat is in water. Helps detect a pump / water flow problem, which shows as a lower pressure, VS: a restriction in the flow, such as clogging riser / manifolds, which will show up as a higher pressure.

The newer engines have that built in w/ the MPI setups, but my older '92 454 has not much in engine electronics, aside from the Thunderbolt ignition, so had to go "old school".

Last edited:

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What year is your boat because you should have an alarm built into the MPI system just judging by the impeller housing you have.

The sensor should be mounted on the power steering cooler. See item number 16,
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...inbr=12840&bnbr=280&bdesc=Steering+Components

If it goes off, the engine may go into guardian mode.

Also if you installed something like a smartcraft mercmonitor gateway gauge, then you would be able to read the water pressure.

Example, MercMonitor | Mercury Marine

Thanks for the pointer. It is a 2006. I assume it does not have an alarm since it did not alarm when I was trying to run on muffs and there was no water pressure. But I'll take a closer look.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Update. I decided to replace the pump with the OEM model. The new one has stainless wear plate on the backing plate. I used a pulley remover and installer tool from habor freight to swap the pulley since the new pump does not come with the pulley. It worked; not great, but it worked.

When testing, water started flowing right away. :)

Last edited: