Bravo 3 loss of lube oil - slowly then rapidly x2

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Bravo 3 outdrive. I recently replaced my lower unit. While I was out slow cruising, I got a low lube alarm. I checked the reservoir and it was down slightly so I filled back up to the line. I anchored out that night and checked the lube level in the morning and discovered that the lube tank was empty. I refilled and made my way back to the slip (1.5 hr trip). I experienced no alarm but after docking the boat, the alarm went off and I saw a slick on the water. I checked the lube reservoir and it was empty again. The bilge is still clean so the lube oil must have been lost outside the boat. Any thoughts on what could cause this erratic behavior?
Thanks,
Gil

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Could be gear lube monitor system fittings, hose, o ring at the bell housing or seal(s) in the drive

Boat needs to come out of the water to inspect properly

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a Bravo 3 outdrive. I recently replaced my lower unit. While I was out slow cruising, I got a low lube alarm. I checked the reservoir and it was down slightly so I filled back up to the line. I anchored out that night and checked the lube level in the morning and discovered that the lube tank was empty. I refilled and made my way back to the slip (1.5 hr trip). I experienced no alarm but after docking the boat, the alarm went off and I saw a slick on the water. I checked the lube reservoir and it was empty again. The bilge is still clean so the lube oil must have been lost outside the boat. Any thoughts on what could cause this erratic behavior?
Thanks,
Gil
You need to pull the boat before you get water in drive.

When u say lower unit was replaced you you mean the lower half or the complete outdrive

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have a leak

Pull the boat and fix

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
I pulled the boat. I noticed a slight oil stain on the area where the bell housing meets the drive gear housing. The hose from the transom to back of bell housing shows no obvious leaks or damage. But I did find lube oil in the bilge - I traced the hose from reservoir to the transom and all looks good. I'm going to try some pressure testing to try to find the big leak.
Questions
1. Does the lube system build up pressure when the drive is turning?
2. Does the reservoir just serve as a gravity refill for the lube system?
3. Does the lube oil circulate through the system?

Thanks,
Gil

alldodge

Staff member
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
Your seeing lube in the bilge and on the transom assembly, it's the fitting that goes thru the transom

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
If it's on both sides, would water be coming in through it?
How can I test it and what would the fix be?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Would also check input shaft seal is not leaking lube into the bellows and eventually the bilge

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
I found one problem - fitting 10 (quick connector to the transom passthrough) was cracked. I believe that was the source of the lube oil dump into the bilge. I replaced it and pressure tested from the reservoir hose end to a hose pliers clamped outside - between the transom and the bell fitting. It held pressure without issue.
I left the hose pliers in place and pressure tested from the the oil filler on the gear casing and found that the pressure dropped quickly. I sprayed soapy water on the mating area between bell housing and gear casing and the gear casing and lower unit and saw no bubbles. I installed a new SEI lower unit last season so I am guessing the shaft seals are good.
Where should I test next and how? Soapy water on the back side of the bell housing? Should I pull the props and spray soapy water on the seals? I'd prefer not to have to pull the outdrive apart in not necessary.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
At this point you need to remove the drive from the bell housing and pressure test it separate from the lube monitor system

Check to make sure the o ring is seated properly in place at the lube monitor valve in the bell housing once the drive is removed

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
I was afraid of that. It is so difficult to pull the gear housing off the bell housing. Are there any tips on getting the two apart?

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
I got them apart. Does the gear housing automatically seal the lube system when separated? Does bell housing end lube line also seal automatically?

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
After separation, I pressure tested from the reservoir end and it held. So it looks like all lube system is good thru the bell housing. I noticed that lube oil is dripping where the drive shaft goes into the bell housing. I pressure tested (10psi) and sounds like air is coming from the drive shaft area (I only separated gear housing and bell housing about an inch. Now I'm suspecting the upper gear drive shaft seals are bad. That the bilge lube oil is from a drive shaft seal leak. Does that sound reasonable?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
After separation, I pressure tested from the reservoir end and it held. So it looks like all lube system is good thru the bell housing. I noticed that lube oil is dripping where the drive shaft goes into the bell housing. I pressure tested (10psi) and sounds like air is coming from the drive shaft area (I only separated gear housing and bell housing about an inch. Now I'm suspecting the upper gear drive shaft seals are bad. That the bilge lube oil is from a drive shaft seal leak. Does that sound reasonable?
yes very common your bellows will be full of drive lube then

gcarmich

Seaman Apprentice
Is the bellows sealed at the transom? If so, how did the bilge get loaded with lube oil?

alldodge

Staff member
The drive seals water out but does not keep lube out of bilge. With the drive shaft seal leaking it will fill the upper bellows and the start leaking into the bilge,

Need the drive shaft removed to replace seals
While your at it check tolerances to make sure they are in spec.