Bravo 3 Gimbal Housing Seal

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1999 Bravo 3 and I'm in the process of replacing the Gimbal Ring.​

Is the gimbal housing seal (spring backed seal for upper swivel shaft) reusable or should this seal always be replaced? I will be installing a new upper swivel shaft.​

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 3 Gimbal Housing Seal

Replace the seal. Why leave yourself open for a possible leak when you already have it apart to change the shaft.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a good way to pull the seal without pulling the bushing too?

Don S

Why are you replacing the shaft? I can't imagine it being worn out?

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why are you replacing the shaft? I can't imagine it being worn out?

Well, that's a very good question! The gimbal ring is worn at the upper shaft, seems someone didn't keep the proper torque on the u-bolt. I'm not sure what should be replaced, other than the gimbal ring.​

There does not appear to be any wear on the upper shaft (I realize its steel and the gimbal ring is aluminum), but I have read in other places that the shaft and u-bolt should be replaced when replacing the gimbal ring (I never over torqued the u-bolt, but can't speak for the original owner).​

The upper and lower shafts came out easily. There does not appear to be any wear on any of the upper or lower bushings or seal. The upper shaft only has some slight discoloration but no wear where it contacted the worn area of the gimbal ring.​

So I quess my question is, assuming there are no signs of wear on any of the upper and lower shaft components, what should be replaced?​

Don S

If there is no wear in the bushings, then you really don't need to replace them. Check them with the new shaft before you put the gimbal ring in.
You see how much work it is to get that gimbal ring off, do you reailly want to pull it all apart again because of a worn bushing or seal.

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You see how much work it is to get that gimbal ring off, do you reailly want to pull it all apart again because of a worn bushing or seal.

Exactly. But at the same time I don't want to replace a factory installed bushing if it isn't needed.

So, I guess my plan is to replace the shaft seal, but keep the original shaft, u-bolt and bushings. Does that sound logical from thousands of miles away :rolleyes:

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm trying to remove the seal and lower bushing but not having much success.​

I tried the twin jaw slide hammer puller as recommend in the merc manual but the bushing is flush with the housing and can't get a a good grip on only the bushing and not the housing.​

I'm currently trying a blind hole puller that appears to be griping the bushing well, but I'm having to use a lot of force. Is this another have to heat up to +350 F to break the Loctite 271 on the seal issue?​

Any tips, tricks or suggestions on how to remove the bushing and seal would be greatly appreciated.​

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boy, do I feel like a DA. :eek:

Just in case anyone wants to know and does a search in the future on this topic...​

Pop the seal out with a suitable tool (I used a small screw driver wedged between bushing and seal... careful the housing is aluminum) and then drive the bushing out with an appropriate sized socket to match the bushing. Be careful on socket size selection, since the bore for the seal is larger than the bore for the bushing.​