Bravo 3 "gear" noise in neutral

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It is a 2006 24' bow rider with a 350MAG MPI engine and Bravo 3 drive. It has about 650 hours, so it has seen some use. This has been my first full season with this boat, so i am still getting to know what is normal. It seems fine when in drive, but there is a noise that sounds like gears messhing when in neutral. Not loud; just noticeable over the engine idling. In gear, it seems to go away. There is also some vibration in hard turns, but nothing alarming. My guess is the U-joint is getting loose. Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Can I ask what I should I should expect to pay to have the drive removed, replace shaft seals, inspect bellows, and inspect u-joint? I've helped with a smaller drive before, but I'm not sure I want to tackle a 300lb beast.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bravo 3 "gear" noise in neutral

how is the oil in the drive? any service history. bravo`s done use gears for shifting ,they use a cone clutch in the upper unit.
the gears are always spinning.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can I ask what I should I should expect to pay to have the drive removed, replace shaft seals, inspect bellows, and inspect u-joint? I've helped with a smaller drive before, but I'm not sure I want to tackle a 300lb beast.

It doesn't weigh that much and from someone (non-mechanic) who has r$r both an alpha and a B3, it is a bit more but you can manage it with some thought.

First, have someone around that can at least help you balance it or hold it if needed; my first removal last year I have my 15 year old son as the helper.

Second, build a "cart" using simple 2x4, 2x6 scrap lumber and a <$10 Harbor Freight rolling dolly that has "tongs" extended out to slide under the cavitation plate and makes removal pretty easy; just remember to have some weight on the back to counter the weight of the drive as it comes off.

Mark

Last edited:

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did not replace the lube in the fall before winterizing, but i did inspect for moisture at the top and bottom. Then I replaced the lube early in the season with Mercruiser High Performance Gear Lube. Old fluid was clear, but I think it was non-synthetic, so I flushed with new through the reservoir until it came out the drain blue before filling. Being new to me, I have inspected a few times through the season to verify no water intrusion and nothing on the magnet. I keep it on a trailer, so checking occasionally is easy.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the advise Mark. I probably will go ahead and tackle it.

Fun Times

Staff member

I probably will go ahead and tackle it.
Removing the props first will help weight wise. The most the B3 drive will weigh is around 175 with the props still on. You'll need a special size tool to remove the props though.

91-805457-1 Makes it easiest with a long breaker bar, 91-805457-1 | eBay

Also for the Rear Prop Nut, Socket size 1/2" drive 1-7/16"

Good luck.:)