Bravo 3 can you change gear oil line without removing lower unit?

chapmethis

Cadet
First I/O, noticed greenish fluid under shaft and found a rip in the gear oil line.

Can you change the oil line on the bravo 3 without taking off the lower unit? Seems like a bit of work to replace something so simple. Can't find any good information on it.

Thanks

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
I think it's drive AND bell housing need to come off to get at the upper clamp. I can't see any way of doing when assembled. Just too tight.

Just changed mine during a steering pin replacement.

Be careful because the hose connects to a, normally, plastic nipple on the transom assy that easily breaks. I was lucky as mine is brass.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
It can be done with everything in place but it's not fun or easy

As mentioned a majority of the through transom fittings for the lube line are plastic and will break if not removed properly

Seeing as how the lube line has failed I'm guessing the other rubber/maintenance items in the transom assembly are of similar vintage and could use replacing as well. Best to do everything at the same time and have 5 (+) seasons of worry free boating

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats. . .

First word of caution . . . don't take off the lower unit. (you'll get a big surprise). o_O

As @04fxdwgi25 explained, the oil line is very tight on the starboard side of the bell housing. even with the drive removed and the bell housing detached, it is a tough go.

BillWilliams

Seaman
As everyone else has stated, it's tight and the fitting going through the transom assembly is typically plastic.

When I did mine, I was replacing the swivel shaft so I had to disassemble everything anyway so I cut the hose before I removed the bell housing so I could then work on removing it from the plastic fitting without anything pulling on it.

chapmethis

Cadet
Thanks for all the info guys.

I did try and "splice" the line with brass barbs but it didn't work out. I don't see how anyone could change this line without removing drive-you would have to know the parts really well. I can't even get my eyes on the fittings let alone hands!

@dubs283 , great point on the assumed conditions of existing parts.

Looks like I'll be taking the lower and bell off. It doesn't seem too bad. Some staging and elbow grease.

Thanks again, be safe.

alldodge

Staff member
When going to put the new line on the fitting, put a loose tie-wrap on the fitting first. Used needle nose to install new tube

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all the info guys.

I did try and "splice" the line with brass barbs but it didn't work out. I don't see how anyone could change this line without removing drive-you would have to know the parts really well. I can't even get my eyes on the fittings let alone hands!

@dubs283 , great point on the assumed conditions of existing parts.

Looks like I'll be taking the lower and bell off. It doesn't seem too bad. Some staging and elbow grease.

Thanks again, be safe.
Check the condition of your bellows while u are in there. if your bellows are close to needing it the oil line is real easy once the bellows are out of the way.

frostystorm

Cadet
I got mine in an alpha one drive with my wife holding a flash light, the drive all the way up and turned to the left, and then I shoved a slit of a silicon cutting board up there to protect the bellows, and used an xacto knife to cut the hose until it peeled away.

Used a heat gun on the new hose and a pair of very thin hemostats to push it all the way back on, then used a zip tie routed through the bell hosing to sinch it to the through transom fitting.

It was not easy, it was not fun, it is possible, unless you have giant hands. It took me about 3 hours to do it, which in retrospect, is about how long it would have probably taken to just pull the drive and bell housing and replace it along with the bellows.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
When going to put the new line on the fitting, put a loose tie-wrap on the fitting first.

Never add any type clamp, tie wrap, wire tie, zip tie, etc to a mercruiser transom assy gear lube monitor hose between the gimbal housing and bell housing. It makes for additional frustration for the next guy

Mercury hasn't used any type clamp for the gear lube monitor passage hose for at least ten years

In fact, if you look up parts on epc the hose is labeled "push on"

alldodge

Staff member
Never add any type clamp, tie wrap, wire tie, zip tie, etc to a mercruiser transom assy gear lube monitor hose between the gimbal housing and bell housing. It makes for additional frustration for the next guy

Mercury hasn't used any type clamp for the gear lube monitor passage hose for at least ten years

In fact, if you look up parts on epc the hose is labeled "push on"
If someone has trouble using a pair of dykes they need to find a new line of work

Manual shows to use
Merc parts list for both Alpha and Bravo shows push-on for new style and also list nylon clamp

lube.jpg

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/30862/2686/270