Bravo 2

luckydog49

Cadet
I am looking at buying a 28ft boat with a 454 and a bravo 2 drive. The boat ran fine, got on a plane, ran out to 4200rpm. Question was when boat was pulled out of the water, I spun the prop by hand while in nuetral. It took a far amount of effort to turn the prop, usually you can grab a prob and give it a shove and it will spin 1 to 2 revs, this took a constant pressure to turn........(like 2 to 3 times the effort) I have owned other merc outdrives and found they spun easily when turned by hand. So is this normal? What should I look for??Thanks Roman

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 2

Nope, that is not normal.
It should turn easily when in neutral.

TilliamWe

Banned

First 4200 is probably too low for the WOT rpms.

Bravo drives are cone clutch shifting drives. And they shift in the top, not the bottom. I'll guess you are used to Alpha drives that are dog clutch drives that shift in the bottom. Totally different animals. It's not super easy to turn a Bravo drive by the prop with your hand. Sounds normal to me.

Shaun78

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree a Bravo drive prop will not spin like an alpha. It will turn without much force but mine have never had free spin like an alpha. I have had a bravo 1 & bravo 3.

luckydog49

Cadet

Thanks for all the reply's. I'm going to go a boat dealer that has some boats with Bravo 2s and see how they turn. Thanks