Bravo 2 trim tilt

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The lower unit will trim down but not up. It will trim up using the trailer button. Wierd thing is it worked fine when i was on the lake and put it on the trailer. Any ideas?

Thanks Steve.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bravo 2 trim tilt

Undoubtedly you have a faulty trim limit switch or it's wiring failed. But here is a link the the troubleshooting chart that should point you to the real problems. Not sure what year Bravo you have, but this should work for any of them, although it's for an 88 to 98 system.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11c1r5x.pdf

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Undoubtedly you have a faulty trim limit switch or it's wiring failed. But here is a link the the troubleshooting chart that should point you to the real problems. Not sure what year Bravo you have, but this should work for any of them, although it's for an 88 to 98 system.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/11/11c1r5x.pdf

Thanks so much Don. My boat has two round switches one on each side of the outdrive on the gimbel ring. The one on the starboard side (driver side ) had broken wires on it when I bought the boat. It didnt seem to make a difference except the gauge didnt work. I dont know what the one on the passengers side is. I think it must be the trim limit switch you are refering to.
Can you tell me which wires colors/pairs I need to join so that I can bypass this switch until I get time to replace both of the sender/limit switches. My wife wants to take her family out and I know that I do not have time this week to properly replace the trim limit switch. This is on a 1996 7.4liter bravo II.

Thanks Steve

Bondo

Staff member

Can you tell me which wires colors/pairs I need to join so that I can bypass this switch until I get time to replace both of the sender/limit switches.

Ayuh,....

Just Inside the transom they're all Black wires,+ there should be a set of bullet connectors,...
Just Bypass it at the bullet connectors...

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,....

Just Inside the transom they're all Black wires,+ there should be a set of bullet connectors,...
Just Bypass it at the bullet connectors...

So you are saying that the two wires going to the trim sensor on the gimbel ring are both black. If I unplug the sensor and connect the 2 leads together, the trim up will then work?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So you are saying that the two wires going to the trim sensor on the gimbel ring are both black. If I unplug the sensor and connect the 2 leads together, the trim up will then work?

The TRIM LIMIT switch is the one you need to bypass, the trim sender is for the gauge and won't do anything.
When you bypass the trim limit switch as bondo mentions, the button will then work, but the trim limit function will not. You will be able to raise the drive all the way up.
You don't really have to bypass anything to use the boat, just use the trailer button for up instead of the normal button.

muskie hunter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

QUOTE=Don S;1699056]The TRIM LIMIT switch is the one you need to bypass, the trim sender is for the gauge and won't do anything.
When you bypass the trim limit switch as bondo mentions, the button will then work, but the trim limit function will not. You will be able to raise the drive all the way up.
You don't really have to bypass anything to use the boat, just use the trailer button for up instead of the normal button.[/QUOTE]

You guys are fantastic!! Thanks so much. I will just use the trailer button until I get the chance to replace the trim limit and the trim sender.