Brand new starter gone bad already?

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I was trying to replace the starter on a friends 4.3L mercruiser engine today. Long story short, I hooked up the wires wrong at first because the old starter was already out. I hooked up the positive wire correctly but accidentally connected the orange and red/purple(I think) to the starter side. That side had the little fuse block on it. I'm guessing those wires are the alternator?? Despite hooking it up wrong, the starter engaged and spun the engine but it just wouldn't start. I fixed the wiring but now the bendix won't pop out even if I connect it to my cars battery.

In addition to the bendix no longer working on a brand new starter, I'm only hearing a click from the main starter fuse. The starter spins strong but there's no bendix action so I'm clueless on what happened there. Also, if I blew the little fuse block, would that cause the main starter fuse to trip?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Brand new starter gone bad already?

Ayuh,... My best Guess is, it still ain't wired Right...

Have ya got a manual,..??

Don's got some pictures floatin' 'round here somewhere...

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah it was actually one of Don's posts that lead me onto the correct wiring. I don't have a manual though.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I hooked up the positive wire correctly but accidentally connected the orange and red/purple(I think) to the starter side.

That won't hurt anything, just doesn't put the red/purple wire on the square fuse where it belongs. Everything should still work.

I'm only hearing a click from the main starter fuse
Fuses don't click, you probably heard the slave relay.

Does this 4.3 have a serial number or maybe a year to help ID what to look for? All 4.3's are not the same.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The boat is a 2008 Sea Ray 185 if I remember correctly and it has one of the 4.3L alpha engines. The boat is about 45 minutes away at a friends house so I can't just run out and check the serial number but I could probably get her to go look if it's necessary.

It sounds like the click was coming from the 50A "relay" (if that's the name for it). I'm still a little clueless on how that button and the yellow tab that pops down work.

jfw432

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any other ideas?

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can get the starter tested at autozone or similar if you feel it may be the starter & then if its OK verify all the wiring as stated above.

You need the large wire to spin the motor / the smaller one on the plus side selects the solenoid when the key is turned. When the soleniod is picked / activated it makes the electrical contact to the motor internally along with engaging the bendix gear and also completes the connection to the output for the ignition wire. A good ground path through the starter housing to the engine & batt is critical for all this to work properly.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like the click was coming from the 50A "relay" (if that's the name for it). I'm still a little clueless on how that button and the yellow tab that pops down work.

If the yellow tab is down, the breaker is tripped. Just push the yellow arm up until it click into place. That is how you reset them. If you push the red button, you trip the relay.