Brake issue Chevy Avalanche

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Had my factory pads replaced at 65K and they still had some life left, but I didn't want to take any chances. Dealer put new pads and I thought turned the rotors too. The symptom I have now is at high speed brake situations I get a rather violent front end shake. Only happens when I have to hit them well, but I cant think of anything else except needing rotors replaced or turned. Anyone know for sure what this might be? I need to check my receipt to see if they did anything to the rotors.

Thanks

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Brake issue Chevy Avalanche

Where are you feeling this? Steering wheel, brake pedal, the chassis, or a combination?

Possibilities;

Rotors weren't turned like they should have been.

Mating surface between the hub and rotor wasn't cleaned, or wasn't cleaned properly allowing the rotor to not have a true seat on the hub.

Loose suspension component allowing a bit of play in the wheels.

Rear rotors may be warped. Sometimes when you put a fresh set of brakes on one end, the slack in the hydraulic system is less, so the other brakes are more sensitive. Since the rears on most vehicles usually don't do allot of braking until you are really stepping on it, this may be a possibility.

TilliamWe

Banned

I know Impalas with rear discs warp the rear rotors easily, early, and often. My only fix was to change from the GM pad to something else. So if you had brand new GM pads installed on old rotors (whether they were turned or not) it wouldn't surprise me if they warped them instantly.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Where are you feeling this? Steering wheel, brake pedal, the chassis, or a combination?

I'm feeling it in the steering wheel mostly, but it does rattle the entire front end. Not feeling a warp situation in the steering wheel, as in a pulse, it's rather a steady shake, that is way too much. I also dont feel the ABS kick in when on dry pavement and hitting them hard. I do feel the ABS when in snow, however they wont lock up on dry pavement, and this may be normal too, I'm just not sure.
GM wants $420.00 to replace all four rotors,. and I find that to be a bit high on price, but they did replace the pads and resurfaced the rotors (the rotors never got metal to metal). GM offers 3 kinds of rotors which I kind of laugh about good, better , and best. I know they use low grade steel on these wear items, after all something has to wear out, either the pads or the rotors, right? Not looking for the cheapest way out, I want thye brakes to opperate as they should. I hesitate in even having these rotors turned, because of issues like what I'm dealing with now. What would be the right way to fix this? I'm about done dealing with GM, I think I can do better just about anywhere else. Opinions??

And FWIW- all 4 wheels received new pads, and rotors were resurfaced.

Possibilities;

Rotors weren't turned like they should have been.

Mating surface between the hub and rotor wasn't cleaned, or wasn't cleaned properly allowing the rotor to not have a true seat on the hub.

Loose suspension component allowing a bit of play in the wheels.

Rear rotors may be warped. Sometimes when you put a fresh set of brakes on one end, the slack in the hydraulic system is less, so the other brakes are more sensitive. Since the rears on most vehicles usually don't do allot of braking until you are really stepping on it, this may be a possibility.
Thanks

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Rotors are so thin now days that most of the time it is a waste of money to turn them. You an buy most of them pretty cheap. when you remove metal to surface them they warp quicker.

dolluper

Captain

They prob don't have a lathe turnner.....just replace these days.......sliders sized!!