Braid Knots

MRS

Commander
Just going to braid line do you use a mono backing and also what knots do you use for the braid line? I do like how thin the line is but not sure on what knots will not slip. Thanks for any help on this.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I fill the spool with Dacron then run a 100+ yard top shoot of braid on top.

Always use a 18-24” shock leader with braid. Use Slim Beauty knot for braid to leader connection.

In a pinch, a double uni-knot (10 turn on braid) works for a quick, reasonably strong leader knot

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Seems I recall a tube knot from my fly fishing days. You made it using a short tube like from a (hollow) plastic q-tip.
It could also be made using a nail.

MRS

Commander

Always use a 18-24” shock leader with braid. Use Slim Beauty knot for braid to leader connection.

In a pinch, a double uni-knot (10 turn on braid) works for a quick, reasonably strong leader knot
I did use the double uni-knot from the backing do not know the Slim Beauty knot will have to look it up. I will use a leader to the lure also thanks for the reply.

MRS

Commander
Seems I recall a tube knot from my fly fishing days. You made it using a short tube like from a (hollow) plastic q-tip.
It could also be made using a nail.
Thanks for the reply but I think I remember that knot but do not think it will work with the braid line maybe but will check it out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I did use the double uni-knot from the backing do not know the Slim Beauty knot will have to look it up. I will use a leader to the lure also thanks for the reply.
The Slim beauty looks complicated but it’s actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Take the time to pull everything down. The knot is very compact done right. Easily fits through most rod guides.

MRS

Commander
The Slim beauty looks complicated but it’s actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Take the time to pull everything down. The knot is very compact done right. Easily fits through most rod guides.

Do you do the double over hand with the leader line or the braid line? I can’t get the loops to form right I can do the uni knots but not the slim beauty knot?

Attachments

• 1AA66579-367B-4869-ADA4-FEECEDF1EF39.jpeg
    1AA66579-367B-4869-ADA4-FEECEDF1EF39.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

MRS

Commander

I can do the uni-knot all day but cannot get the Slim Beauty knot! I have 30 pd. braid to a 12 pd. mono leader but just cannot get the line to make the figure 8 to start the knot:LOL:. Will try again tomorrow......

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I can do the uni-knot all day but cannot get the Slim Beauty knot! I have 30 pd. braid to a 12 pd. mono leader but just cannot get the line to make the figure 8 to start the knot:LOL:. Will try again tomorrow......
The figure 8 is a simple overhand knot partially pulled down.

Guessing your matching line diameters but keep in mind that the ultimate breaking strength of the line is determined by knot strength of the weaker of the two lines.

There are three advantage of braid do to its small diameter per unit strength. 1) increased reel capacity (smaller reels) 2) minimum line stretch (better hook sets) 3) less resistance in the water (requires less weight to obtain given depth)

Unfortunately, a large percentage of reels out there are not all that braid friendly leaving people to recommend selecting braid by matching diameter over strength.

I run #14 braid with #20 leader on my light tackle stuff.

My #14 Suffix 832 braid tests out at #25+.
When combined with #20 mono tied with a 95% knot strength (slim beauty), the working strength of the finished line is roughly 19 pounds. Plenty for any inshore fish I may stumble on to.

In your case, most #30 braids test in the mid to upper #40 range. Combined with your #12 leader, you end up with a working line strength of just #11.5

Last edited: