Boy do I feel stupid

LadyFish

Admiral
After nearly 2 weeks without fishing, I couldn't wait to get out on the water last night. I scooted out of work early in order to make it to the post office and pick up the new tac. Rushed home, changed, and loaded the boat with all the gear. I threw the cast net out and only got 2 minnows but I figured it only takes one to catch a fish.<br /><br />Mr. LF finally got home and said we're not really going to fish he just wanted to run the boat. I convinced him that it wouldn't take me long to drowned a couple of minnows.<br /><br />Anyway, I lost the first minnow on an oyster reef while drifting. No problem, I still have one left. He wasn't fishing and couldn't wait for me to lose the last one. All of a sudden BAM!!! something big hit. I couldn't believe my luck. I swore it was another big redfish the way it was fighting and taking line out. After 15 minutes or so fighting him I managed to get him to the boat and Mr. LF netted him (although I thought I needed a gaff). It was a HUGE slimy ole gafftop.<br /><br />I asked Mr. LF to call the marina and see what the current entry weight was for gafftop was in the GCA Texas Star Tournament. They said 7.3 pounds. I screamed and said haul butt to the marina we are weighing this baby, he's all of 8-10 pounds.<br /><br />We flew across the bay at WOT. As I screamed "who's your mama" over and over again, I thought to myself can't this boat go any faster, I want him alive for the weigh in.<br /><br />I paced back and forth on the boat through the no wake zone and gave him fresh water. When we finally docked I jumped outta the boat with the fish in the bucket, my heart was racing a mile a minute.<br /><br />The guy got my hopes up when he said "Oh yeah, he's a contender".<br /><br />Final weight 3 lbs. 13 oz. :rolleyes: <br /><br />We all had a good laugh. There was kareokee at the marina so we stayed and had a great time.

TwoWatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boy do I feel stupid

laughing-smiley-008.gif
<br />It was HUGE!!! nearly 4 lbs worth...<br /><br /><br />and for those who have no idea (like me) what a "gafftop" is. It look's like this....<br />
GaffopsailCatfish.jpg

achris

More fish than mountain goat

All that water keeping him alive must have shrunk him.....
5.gif
<br /><br />Chris...........

crab bait

Captain

you see,, 7.3 pounds is heavier than 3 lbs 13 ounces.. :) <br /><br />( that's a good story )

LadyFish

Admiral

I guess fish in my bucket appear larger than they actually are. :rolleyes:

oddjob

Commander

Funny story , At lease you got Mr. LF some training in for the next one.<br /><br />whats a gafftop? :)

aspeck

Staff member

MR., some things are better left unsaid! You won't catch me mentioning hair color in this thread. I am sure that 3 lb 13 oz gafftop LOOKED like it was at least 10 pounds (where was the unreliable De-liar scales?)! After all, the 2 weights are so close to each other!<br /><br />Since I said I wouldn't mention hair color, maybe it was a SENIOR moment! J/K Ladyfish! Good read this am!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

The list is getting long..... Am I still at the top?.. :confused: :p

ehenry

Commander

Shoulda fed that fish some Shawtnin Bread to put some meat on its bones !! ! :p :p :p

LubeDude

Admiral

Great story LF, Wife wife swears that every Bass she loses was a five pounder.<br /><br />Oh, can you imagine what would have happened if MRLadyfish would have refused to go in and weigh the fish claiming that it wasnt a bit over 4#s, and wasnt a contender. OMG!!!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

actually weighing a fish only detracts from the<br />"fish" story silly :p

LadyFish

Admiral

The prize for gafftop is a $20,000 College Scholarship. Tournament ends September, so there is still time left. :)

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The college scholarship would come in handy. They must have some classes on weights and measures