bowmount on WA cuddy for trolling

H20Hound

Cadet
OK so I got a 23' walkaround cuddy and want to know if anyone has ever put a bow mount trolling motor on one. I know it sounds crazy, but I am hoping to accomplishing two things. Trolling without the main engine, and autopilot.

Since it's an i/o it naturally wanders all over the place. I want fish and drive too. I am looking into the EM trolling motors as well, but that still leaves me with have to get some sort of auto pilot. I have always known that pulling a boat is much easier than pushing to stay on coarse.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: bowmount on WA cuddy for trolling

If you have access to the bow to allow you to stow and deploy the motor, it should be a straight forward (no pun intended) install. Minnkota makes what are called "Isolator Bolts" (more commonly known as "Well Nuts") that allow installation of the motor (or the quick release plate) without having to get under the deck. Drill the proper size hole, insert the well nuts, position the motor or bracket and insert the screw/bolts. As the bolts tighten the well nuts expand. They work well and serve as vibration isolators as well. You need a wireless motor so you can control the unit from anywhere in the boat. MotorGuide and Minnkota both make what you need. Ensure you buy a unit with a long enough shaft.