Bowfin

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bowfin

Really, who catches bass to eat them? I guess people that are really, really hungry. The huge bass fishing scam, was just a really clever marketing plan. I ran one of the biggest tackle shops in the country a few decades ago and back then bass fishing was maybe 10% of the business if that. That was before a few guys figured out how market bass fishing and make millions off it. If you are going to throw the fish back anyway, what difference does it make, what species it is? I guess its an ego thing, catch a 10# largemouth and you can brag to everybody about it, catch a 10# bowfin and its not worth bragging about. People believe what they WANT to believe and don't want to hear any facts that might upset their beliefs. Nearly all small bodies of water have boom and bust fish populations, I have fished many of them, its got nothing to do with what predators species are present, bass and bream, breed in hugely excess numbers and quickly become vastly overpopulated and stunted, without predators.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My wife caught one some 20 years ago at lake erie. We were at a small marina in the bay. She was scared cause she had no clue what it was neither did I :(

alwayzfishin

Recruit

Caught one last year out of the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. I always thought they were more to the North than where I am, but I have several pics for proof.

legacycycles

Seaman

Here in Eastern NC they are also plentyfull in the backwaters and creeks. There are actually tournaments in the roanoke river for them. Ive caught a couple and there really fun to catch. They do the whole jump and flip deal like a bass but they fight a whole lot more. When one hits it really feels more like a log till it realizes its been hooked then the fight is on. I personnally relaese them back to the water as i dont see a need to kill for no reason. As for eating them i dont know, ive never tried them,but here in NC they are number one on the high mercury list with largemouth a close 2nd,so ill pass.
They will also hit about anything,and you fish for em just like you would a Bass. Ive caught most on small rooster tails.

Markeb63

Cadet

Caught several of these through the years in Ga and Fla. My favorite was when I was a kid fishing Flint River in south Ga with my grandfather. I caught one and put it in the ice box instead of throwing back like usual. My friend who fancied himself a big bass fisherman was in another boat with my uncle. When we met up at the landing I opened the box and showed my buddy the bowfin. Like any respectable bass fisherman, he stuck his thumb in its mouth and picked it up like a bass. The look on his face was priceless as the teeth sunk in.:D

Dave Barnett

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fun fish to catch. Never went after them specifically, but have caught them while fishing for cats. Mean varmit when turned loose on ya and hard on mono line.

When I was a teenager in Florida my friend and his dad used to take me fishing with them for bowfin and gar. I did most of my fishing back then inshore salt water for snook, tarpon, ladyfish, etc. I loved catching bowfin and gar. both are terrific fighters, and as was stated by another poster, when you are release fishing, what difference does it make what species you catch? Personally, I like variety in my fish catching. I currently fish for largemouth and smallmouth and stripers during the day, and stripers, channel, and especially flathead catfish at night. I love tackling a 20+ pound flathead. Two years ago I caught a 25 pounder while bass fishing on medium baitcast gear. Took 20 minutes to boat it. That was my greatest freshwater fishing experience. Getting back to bowfins, I wish we had them and gar here in Arizona. I;'d be happy to catch them.

54bobby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

caught 1 years ago in a sand quarry on a hand line tied to a milk jug w/ a dead bluegill on it. i was turtle fishing and when checking the line the next day, found it around 100 yds from where i dropped it. it was a 6.5 lb'ertook 3 days to id it as i caught it 30 years ago and they where not indiginus to pa waters.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never caught one. From what I am reading here, I'd sure like to. They sound like alot of fun. The fact they are native only makes it better.
I have caught largemouth, smallmouth, all the panfish, muskie and northern.
I love the fight of a big cat and carp put up a good fight too.

As far as their feeding habits, well, they are gonna eat what they want.
Cracks me up all the bass fisherman who would love to see nothing but bass in every body of water. Just silly. I'd rather catch a 5 lb flathead or channel cat than a 5 lb bass any day. A 5 lb bowfin prolly would make my day.

Anybody know if they are in northern Illinois? We don't have many marshy lakes up here but there are alot of backwaters of the mississippi, are they in there?

SteveinVA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow never caught a bowfin, but di dhook into a long nose gar fishing in the Rappahanock. Probably 24-36 inches, 5-10 lbs. I cant tell ya never got it in the boat. that damn thing freaked me out though, I had no idea what it was when I hooked it. fought it for like 20 mins. on an ultralite rod and reel with 10lb test line. got it up next to the boat and then it took off again and broke my line. what a fight here is the lnk to the dept of game and inland fisheries site for VA
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/fish/details.asp?fish=010033

Attachments

• 010033.jpg
    010033.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 0

reel clownz

Seaman

Caught one before, Tionesta spillway, Tionesta lake Pa. I was musky fishing one nite had some big creek chubs sitting on the bottom, line started going out real slow. Thinking it was a musky let him take it for a while set the hook. 3 mins later i was scratching my head going what the hell is this. This local guy came over said you got a bowfin son. Bowfin what the hell is a bowfin. Did a little research found out they are a prehistoric fish. Kinda cool lookning big teeth in the sides of there mouth. Thats the first and only one i ever caught. 32 in long 6 lbs or so maybe 7 .

Silk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Little lat to the bowfin discussion, but hey, it is an opportunity to share a picture I have of my hubby and his bowfin. Whatever you say about a Bowfin, you cannot say they come to the boat easily, they are awesome fighters. This one gave my husband a run for his money and then some, never gave up, came into the boat just as mad as when she was hooked.

Took a couple pics and sent her on her way, yeah they may be considered undesirable but everyone we have caught now has more than given us our moneys worth in fight and tenacity. I haven't lost a lure to them yet, but we have probably only caught 4 in the last 4 years of fishing.

hubbydogfish.jpg

dogfishface.jpg

Ray1958

Cadet

Bowfin are indeed in northern Illinois. The Kankakee River, Desplains river, Lake michigan and the fox. You can get them in the Illinois and the Missisppi. I believe they they are also called eelpout, a celebrated part of local fishing in north west Wisconsin into Minnesota. A really neat fish to catch that has as much heart as a large northern and as hearty as a carp. They will make a wreck of your favorite lures, sometimes unusable after one catch. The Dogfish, Bowfin, eelpout, quite a fish. But the crowd I fish with also refer to bass as green carp, nasty foul fish that require the washing of ones hands before catching a good fish like crappie, walleye of blue gills.

Ray

Ray1958

Cadet

Good to know. I have never been to the eelpout festivals but have heard they are great fun. Now bowfin on the other hand, a great fish to tangle with. I prefer cut baits rather than having my best lures mangled.

Ray

Mi duckdown

Commander

I will tell one thing about dogfish, in MI.
they are the hardest fighting fish I have ever caught.
Caught Muskies/salmon/ you name it. they are bad ***** as a sport fish.
Spinner gear is trash when you catch one.