Bow U bolt Eye Tie Down Repair Question on a 20' Bowrider.

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I need to replace the Bow Eye U Bolt on my boat, as it pulled straight out cleanly during an epic failed launch (see link below) and the boat flew off the trailer and was literally dry docked, going into the boat launch. It missed the water by 20 feet.

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/t...d-in-the-blistering-heat.773211/#post-5929513

Question: before I start to perform the repair, does anyone know if the bow eye u bolt was put in after fiberglassing, I really don't need another major surgery especially in this effin heat.

Hopefully it's easy to get to. My boat is a Bowrider, and there's a square step very close to the bow, I'll see if I can get the top off that box step to access it.

Has anyone replaced a Bow Eye U bolt on this type of boat that I have. Please advise, thanks.

Last edited:

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
I just found there was a kickplate panel that I pulled out rather easily, photos below. It appears there is no damage to the U bolt area (inside the boat). I'm able to use the original u bolt again, and I'm gonna use SS nuts and 3M 4200.

20240621_093527.jpg20240621_093540.jpg

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You are going to need some sort of backing plate for the eyebolt. Pick and cut the largest plate you can fit. You want to sperad the load to as much of the bow as possible

A block of wood works as well. use large strong SS washers. The sealer is not important but use nylon lock nuts.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Agreed not knowing how thick that area is, you want something to spread the load out, like maybe 1/8th" alu plate if you can get it cut to size, or galvanized steel plate. You can use wood but just make sure to really coat it in resin.
PS I had to rebuild all the gas tank mounts for my boat when the deck was partially replaced 17 years ago. I used mahogany for the side stringers and cross pieces, it is hard to cut but very rot resistant, it still looks like the day I put it in! Old pic from 2007, a LONG time ago....

Attachments

• tank mounting.jpg
    tank mounting.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 4

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
You are going to need some sort of backing plate for the eyebolt. Pick and cut the largest plate you can fit. You want to sperad the load to as much of the bow as possible

A block of wood works as well. use large strong SS washers. The sealer is not important but use nylon lock nuts.

I'm using a 6" piece of a metal city stop sign pole. It's perfect, and free. 😁🤪😁. The original piece that was in there, was a 3" piece of metal.
Screenshot_20240621_134929_Chrome.jpg

1985 Century Mustang

Chief Petty Officer
That stop sign metal bar shown above didn't fit, it was too deep, and i ran out of threads on the u bolt. So back to the drawing board. I may just get a good piece of flat metal bar, and paint it a few times w Rust-Oleum.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The stainless backing plate is most likely in the bilge

I wouldn't use steel