Bow Repair

Tlide

Recruit
I have a 1997 Four Winns that has cosmetic damage to the keel/ bow. I would like to get some feedback on the best way to repair this damage. I have experience working with fiberglass epoxy in the building of a couple of kayaks. The damage is less than a foot long and when finished I plan on putting a keel protector on the boat. I know that I probably won't be able to match the color of the boat to the existing color but that is fine with me. Attached is photos of the damage. In the photos you will see that the person before me put JB weld over the damaged area.

Thanks,
Tracy

Attachments

• boat 009.jpg
    boat 009.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0
  • boat 007.jpg
    boat 007.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow Repair

I had a very similar repair on my boat last season. I'd recommend sanding/grinding all the damaged glass/gel back about2-3 inches and then lay 2-3 layers of 1/5oz CSM over the area to build it back up. I'd then use a PreVal system to spray 4-5 coats of Gelcoat on and then sand thru 1000 grit and then buff and polish. If you work at it just a bit you can match the gel to yours and you'll barely be able to notice the repair

Tlide

Recruit

How do I work the csm around the curve in the bow? Will it bend to a curve? Also, if I use gel coat, then I will not be able to use epoxy resin, correct? I would like to use the epoxy as as I still have some that is only a couple months old. It seems from what I have read the epoxy has a little better bonding properties. I'm wondering if I could use the epoxy and then spray on a two part interlux paint?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yup, you can use epoxy and paint but as you state once you use it you cannot use gelcoat ever again. Paint will work but trying to match the Gelcoat color will be problematic. CSM will conform to any shape very easily. Your boat is made from Poly Resin and Poly will adhere to it very well. It's your boat and your choice. Either will work.

Tlide

Recruit

Will probably get some poly and gel coat to do the repair. That way if I don't like how it turns out I can take it to a professional to fix. Thanks for the help.

Tracy

pauloman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

kevlar / feldspar-ceramic reinforced epoxy paste - bing WET DRY 700 - has been used to fix damaged jet ski front ends (box damage) - you need to 'paint to match'

paul