Bow red/green light - how to wire?

nclex2011

Cadet
I run my inflatable at night on occasion. What I did last year was use an old tractor battery up front to run the red/green bow light, and keep my marine battery just for the trolling motor's use in the back. The stern 360 light has it's own batteries...

This year. I no longer have the small tractor battery. So I'm thinking about getting 2 marine motor batteries and using one to power the motor and the other to (partially) draw power to the bow light and the rest of the juice a backup for the motor. My main question, is how do I prevent the light from drawing wasteful amounts of power from the battery. I'm no electrical genius but I would think any full circuit connection on a marine battery will just draw the thing pretty quick without something to modulate the voltage output... Is there some kind of power control device that I need to buy to ensure the light doesn't draw power too quickly from the battery than is really necessary or normal to run it this way?

This is basically the light that I have. Real simple. Not an LED, just regular cheap little incandescent.
http://i20.twenga.com/sports/bow-light/large-combination-bow-light-tp_5965013893450119953b.png

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bow red/green light - how to wire?

You wire the lights to the battery -- period. There is no "modulation" device as you call it. The lights require 12 volts to be legal and visible. Those two lights do not draw much power and should run all night without killing the battery -- but that depends on how big the battery is.