Bow Hook

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i always see peoples bow eye below the bow stop.. why is mine like this? and im pretty sure this is the original trailer for this boat because the trailer has some red white and blue and there is also some on the boat so i figure there a matching combo.. but you tell me is this right? or what do i do? the grey tape you see on the bow stop is because we wrapped a towl around it to cushion it because the bow stop was about gone but since we done that the bow eye goes right over the bow stop unloading and loading the boat so it doesnt hit anymore, but what are your recommendations.. heres the pics. by the way the trailer is made by Holsclaw

0913011330.jpg

0913011330a.jpg

0913011330b.jpg

0913011330c.jpg

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bow Hook

Kinda depends on how your boat loads on the trailer, normally the bow will "Roll up" the bow roller. On this configuration, you'd want the eye below but yours is up high enough and has a bow stop as opposed to a roller.
Just my guess.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kinda depends on how your boat loads on the trailer, normally the bow will "Roll up" the bow roller. On this configuration, you'd want the eye below but yours is up high enough and has a bow stop as opposed to a roller.
Just my guess.

so as long as my eye doesnt get caught up on the bow stop do you think im good?

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

many will agree that the bow eye should be snugged up under the bow stop roller when traveling to help stop the boat from flying over the tow vehicle when making sudden uncontrolled stops.

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

many will agree that the bow eye should be snugged up under the bow stop roller when traveling to help stop the boat from flying over the tow vehicle when making sudden uncontrolled stops.
well i plan to put some type of tie down strap or somthign right there sometime

plyxrs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well and plus with how tight i keep my transom tie down i doubt my boat will ever move forward when stopping

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you're OK for now but much as I like old stuff, not too fancy, I would think about replacing the whole winch and its stand.
Rope is unreliable. You should have a thimble in the eye. The winch looks precarious and unmatched for the elbow it's on--and how is it attached?
Since you don't have a safety chain, here is what I'd do before driving again: tie down the bow eye to the trailer tongue, best with a cable or chain with a snap hook on it. That will serve to keep the boat from ridnig over the bow stop (as suggested) and serve as a safety chain when the old winch or the rope fails. When. Meanwile, be sure you have good tie downs in the rear.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, I don't like anything I see in those pix.

In addition to what's been said, the winch should pull the eye flat/horizontal; yours pulls upward.

And do you ever trip over that exposed wiring?

nlain

Commander

I have 2 old boat trailers, 1956 or 57 vintage, and a 1987 vintage, they set up very similar to this one, the v block for the bow stop, bow eye comes above the stop, the older has rope on the winch, the newer one has a stick you in the hand cable, I think that is something with the older setups, before they figured out that was a good way to launch a boat onto the roof of a truck. My current trailer, 2004, the bow eye pulls right up under and against the bow roller.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Your setup is period correct for that vintage Holsclaw. Note the u-bolts on the side of the winch stand. Holsclaws came with a rope winch and used a unique way to tie down the bow. The setup was described in detail in their owner's manual. Unfortunately I couldn't find my old documentation.

Anyway, after winching the boat in place, the winch hook was disconnected from the boat and hooked thru one of the u-bolts. Then, the line was extended and looped through the boat's bow eye and over the other side of the winch stand. After making proper connections, the winch is again tightened. What you end up with is a neat set of "knots" and the boat can't move in any direction (unless the rope breaks....LOL).

Just replace the rope with a "strap", route the wire along the tongue, and install a double chain off the tongue with a hook and turnbuckle that is below and slightly aft of the bow eye. Personally, I wouldn't own a "safety chain" that dangles and is only useful if the boat moves from its proper position. A firmly attached bow tie down chain won't allow the boat to move at all.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

well and plus with how tight i keep my transom tie down i doubt my boat will ever move forward when stopping

In a normal stop, yes... When the tow vehicle hits another vehicle and comes to a stop in 5 feet, the boat will easily rip out the stern hooks. The angle gives the strap a huge mechanical advantage, its great for holding it DOWN, but start sliding it forward and those hooks will rip right out.

If you can't get the bow eye under the bow stop, a chain going straight down the trailer is a very good idea...

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

mine bow eye is between 2 roller stops. i see it both ways depends on trailer and boat set ups. also i see you have a really nice NYLON ROPE get rid of that junk and put a strap on your winch. after 2-3 years noylon rope will weather and fray eventually it will brake as your cranking it on the trailer. naturally you will tie a knot and forget about the knot the next time out. it will brake again and next thing you know you got a few knots.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

mine bow eye is between 2 roller stops. i see it both ways depends on trailer and boat set ups. also i see you have a really nice NYLON ROPE get rid of that junk and put a strap on your winch. after 2-3 years noylon rope will weather and fray eventually it will brake as your cranking it on the trailer. naturally you will tie a knot and forget about the knot the next time out. it will brake again and next thing you know you got a few knots.

Back in the day, a nylon rope was considered the epitomy of what a winch should have. Of course, the "strap" hadn't been invented yet. Naturally, today I would only use a strap, but back in the 1960's a 1/2" nylon rope served me very well for many years.

BTW, that was an upgrade of the 3/8" rope that usually came as std. equipment.

Also, in the pic I observed it looked to me that the winch rope was poly anyway. That is NOT suitable for a winch.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the current set up works, just add a steel turnbuckle and chain that connects to the trailer tongue below to prevent the boat from rising up in the event of a collision. Those old trailers put the winch at an optimal angle for boat retrieval but not at a good angle for holding the boat down on the trailer if something bad happens.

If you use it the way it is, it will most likely be fine, (I'd make very sure the rope is in good shape, or switch to a cable or strap), but if you hit something, that boat will be on top of you and your tow vehicle in the blink of an eye.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a old 1958 trailer that had the same setup. I second replacing the rope with a strap and consider getting one of those heavy duty ratchet straps, not the ones from Wal-Mart, and strapping down the front of the boat. I ran mine over the boat and under the trailer back about 2ft from the tip of the bow. The one I used if I remember correctly was rated at 5000lbs. The strap was about 4" wide. I got it at local farm supply store.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

while we're at it: that's a good comment above about having a tight chain/cable instead of, or better in addition to, the loose safety chain found on most trailers today. All of the bouncing is working against your winch parts, and those gear teeth stops aren't all that strong to begin with. If you have a power winch, the bouncing is working on your clutch pads. Some folks even tie down the boat and then loosen the power winch for this reason.

So trade in the useless transom saver for a winch saver! <ducks>

Also, as I have mentioned a lot, the whole bow eye can come out, leavnig all your winch, safety, tie down and back-up dangling in the wind. BTDT. Consider a second point of attachment on the boat, such as a bow cleat.