Bow Hatch Complete

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Lund WC16 and was looking to add some much needed storage for my fishing and crabbing outtings. I found this board and started researching materials and designs and here's what I came up with:

I used 3/4" marine grade plywood, 1"x1" angle aluminum, and a 10"x20" hatch that I found on Ebay. After I got it all cut and the holes drilled I took it apart and coated it top and bottom with 3 coats of epoxy resin. It looks and fits great. The deck and hatch really make the front 4' of my boat functional for storage and a place to put the cooler, crab pots, and all my other gear.

Thanks for the great information on this site.

IMG00070.jpg

IMG00075.jpg

IMG00076.jpg

IMG00077.jpg

WizeOne

Commander
Re: Bow Hatch Complete

That's a nifty upgrade clarkbre. You made good use of somewhat useless splace. Looks excellently executed as well. What is the structure under the deck, around the perimeter?

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bow Hatch Complete

That's a nifty upgrade clarkbre. You made good use of somewhat useless splace. Looks excellently executed as well. What is the structure under the deck, around the perimeter?

The front 14" is supported by an existing step/seat. I have 6 screws holding the deck down to that. For the rear, I bought a 1"x1"x48" piece of angle aluminum. I mounted this on the existing bench seat and then mounted the deck to that. The unsupported center is roughly 32" so I added the supports around the hatch. I figure this should be sturdy enough.

I weigh 200lbs and can stand and walk on it with barely any flex. It went in great and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now i just have to get it out on the water.