Bottom Painting and removeing boat from trailer

xenus7850

Cadet
Ok, not sure if I can do this or not, but I need to paint the bottom of my boat, it has never had paint before. Any good DIY instructions out there? What products do you recommend?

The boat is a trailered Rinker 290 (11,100 LBS dry, around 12,500 as it sits now, 29 foot). The boat is in my yard and is on a trailer. Any DIY trick to get it up off the trailer safely and cheaply?

The only thing I come up with is to lower the tongue jack all the way down, and then put cinder blocks under the back end. Then raise the tongue jack all the way, then use a bottle jack and raise it a bit more, then put cinber blocks under the keel.

Of course I would put would between the boat and the blocks. This should give me a few inches I would think, which should be enough. My question is, can the cinder blocks hold the weight? I would put 4 stacks unber the back and about 3-4 on the keel.

Do I need to do anything for the front to balance the boat since most of the weight is in the back and I will have 4 supports back there? Any ideas that are better than this? Do you think that this will work or do I need to explore other oppertunities?

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bottom Painting and removeing boat from trailer

your setup sounds right, i would only put 2 stands in the back and 2 maybe 4-6 feet from the end of the bow thats how we store our 34ft searay over the winter on dry dock. Except we use all 6x6 and 4x4 blocks instead of cinder blocks. its safe enough to walk on and with stands the winds (our dry dock is right next to the lake up here by lake erie) Ill try to get a pic this week