bottom paint

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
do they make any hard bottom paint for trailered boats? mine is on a bunk trailer so it needs to be hard to where it will not rub off from going up and down the bunks. i have one original layer of bottom paint and it looks bad and it doesnt stay in the water so just really trying to get it to look better.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bottom paint

i'm not an expert on paint, but most of the time when someone says bottom paint they are speaking of a special paint for boats that remain in the water.
i think there are 3 types of those paint most do not dry all the way.
if you trailer you boat the options are greater for your choice of paints.

LeftCoastJeff

Seaman

IIRC the paint you speak of, (sacrificial paint) has heavy metals in it.
Copper or if it's old, some lead.
That's why it works, some critter grabs on to something that comes off.

If you want to do something harder, your going to be required that the old paint be removed...completely.

I say let it wear off in time, then at some point get out the Tyvec suit, respirator, goggles and vac assisted sander.
That's what they do in the boat yard for that mess, not one of the favorite jobs. You come out all blue.

If you keep the boat on the trailer, I would go with a gel-coat to match the rest of the boat.
That might run into some$$$$$$$$ though.

Good luck, the more you use your boat/wash/rinse/repeat, the less you have to sand!

LCjeff

zip34788

Seaman

Unless you can find some of the old true copper paint none of the bottom coatings are actually that durable. Anti-fowling is in theory another word for anti-stick.

If you are prepared to step up to the plate and pay the big bucks, then Awlgrip will most likely do you the best job. ;)

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

do they make any hard bottom paint for trailered boats? mine is on a bunk trailer so it needs to be hard to where it will not rub off from going up and down the bunks. i have one original layer of bottom paint and it looks bad and it doesnt stay in the water so just really trying to get it to look better.

As leftcoastjeff mentioned you have sacrificial bottom paint on there now. Sanding it all off is the best bet with 80 grit. Use epoxy primer and Pettit non-sacrificial bottom paint. It will last for years and will not come off.

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

the paint that is on there right now is comming off very easily, if you rub it to hard it comes off, so when i go to re do it, i will be taking all of the original paint off, this is the best picture i can find right now

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 0

Spinnaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you take it off hit it with a pressure washer, tape off the waterline and start sanding. 80 grit. As I said in my last post, epoxy primer and Pettit paint.

Cougar_15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is the bottom paint I'm thinking about for my boat when I get to that point, it's by Interlux:

VC Performance Epoxy
Product Details
Product Description

VC Performance Epoxy is a two-part Teflon? bearing epoxy that has a hard, slick finish ideal for use on the underwater surfaces of high performance powerboats and racing sailboats. Teflon? adds lubricity and eases wet sanding and burnishing.

VC Performance Epoxy's hard, stain-resistant finish is also ideal for rack-stored and trailered boats or boats that are kept in the water not requiring antifouling protection. VC Performance Epoxy has no antifouling or foul release properties.

Application Details - VC Performance Epoxy
Area Below water
Finish/Sheen Semi-gloss
Converter/Curing V128
Number of Coats: 3-4 as needed
Method of application: Brush / Roller / Airless Spray / Conventional Spray
Available colors: View color chart and sales codes
Pack sizes: 1 US Quart / 1 US Gallon
Suitable for high speed boats? YES

It's the only non-antifouling bottom paint I've been able to find.