Bottom paint thats not antifouling paint?

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to repaint the bottom of my boat (over the factory gel coat) with a bottom paint but I don't want to use an antifouling paint. I have heard that if you use a topside paint such as Easypoxy or Interlux that it might blister when kept in the water for more that a week. What kind of paint should be used to refinish a bottom when one does not wish to use antifouling paint yet keeps the boat in the water (fresh) for extended periods?
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bottom paint thats not antifouling paint?

The 1 in my avatar has been bottom painted with Rustolium,........Right out of the Can,... Rolled on....
It was on a Trailer for the 1st 4 or 5 years,.......
And, has been tied to my Dock for the last 2 seasons........

I touch it up about once a year, for the Scratches,......
No Blistering,.... Yet anyways......

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

swsidlo - I think the problem is that the fiberglass will blister, not the paint. Just how long are you planning on keeping it in? Let me know & I can advise further.

Darkhorse1201

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I typically leave it in the water from about June 1 to now. I just pulled it out yesterday and it was very dirty. It does have the remnants of some antifouling paint on it but not alot left. I dont know whether it is better to remove that paint and paint with a white paint (like the rest of the boat) or just repaint the bottom with antifouling paint.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you're going to keep it in the water all season, you definitely need to get it cleaned up & use antifoulant paint. You will get growth on anything else - probably enough to keep you from getting on plane after a month or so. I would use an ablative type - they go on pretty easy & stay active over winter storage. You will most likely get 2 seasons out of it if you put on 2 good coats. Just be sure to do a good cleaning & prep job to avoid problems with it adhering. There are a few good threads here on the subject - I was in on a few over the past couple of weeks.