Bottom Carb pouring Fuel out #5 after Fuel Pump Rebuild V-6

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just rebuilt the fuel pump on an '80 175 V-6. Before the rebuild, no gas was coming out of the carb front. Now gas is pouring out of the bottom #5 carb. Clear hose test showed an air leak, it was the fuel bayonet connections and they were tightened. Vacuum test was at zero for restriction and fuel pump test peaked at 5 Hg at 5-7 seconds at idle on muffs. Carbs were very recently rebuilt. Ideas?

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Bottom Carb pouring Fuel out #5 after Fuel Pump Rebuild V-6

Fuel lines are shelling out. Got a piece of chit in the needle valve of the carb.

Unfortunately you'll have to open up the carb to get at the crap under the needle. use new gaskets or you'll crank in another problem when the emulsion tube gasket fails.

Just replace the fuel filter and all the fuel lines around the carbs.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree, Any little bit of dirt,trash etc can cause issues with these carbs. Clean fresh gasoline and all connecting lines in very good condition are a must.

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I figured you guys were going to say that! I have new Merc lines and bulb from the tank to the fuel pump and new auto part store fuel lines from pump to the carbs. I saw some trash going thru the clear hose. The screen filter on the fuel pump should have stopped it. The carbs were recently rebuilt. Can you recommend an inline fuel filter? I will be adding a Racor Water Seperator but have to determine a location. I need one that can handle 25 gal per hour and the auto parts stores don't give that rating. Thanks for the replies.
Rob

j_martin

Admiral

You should put in the RAcor 60 gph filter. That way you have some head room when it gets partially plugged. The 100 mesh screen filter between the fuel pump and the carbs won't stop much smaller than a june bug. You can put the RACOR filter between the tank and the primer, then discard the small filter in the engine.

Somewhere, you got some chit in the lines. Maybe a bug moved into the new line before you installed it.

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks John, the new gaskets will be here tomorrow. I'll get the Racor 60 gph. I think that is the Racor 320 model.