Both starter solenoid and slave solenoid bad on Merc 898?

cecho

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1979 305 powered 898 Mercruiser that clicks when trying to start.

I'm getting 9 volts at the slave solenoid output to the starter solenoid when I crank the starter. When I apply full 12 volts to the output wire while turning the start key my starter solenoid still clicks half the time and starts half the time. Wire connectors seem fine. I'm guessing there's corrosion or carbon inside the slave solenoid? I can try taking it apart.

I also appear to have a bad starter solenoid as well since applying full 12 volts to the yellow wire off the slave solenoid doesn't let the engine start each time.

I know this is somewhat boat dependent, but is it at all common to have to remove the exhaust manifold to get to the starter? I don't have a whole lot of room under the manifold, but I imagine I could remove the coolant hose coming from the outdrive for more room.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
no common but manifolds do have to be removed sometimes.some even have to have the engine pulled to change a starter

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
On your situation where both solenoids are bad - low voltage will kill them. Be sure your connections are clean (all connections) and battery charged. Especially after installing new solenoids.