Boston Whaler or not?

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a boat that has the BW logo on the sides and the registration paperwork lists as a 1976 18 Boston Whaler. The transom has a molded in number of 18UB732. However, the hull side fins near the front are different from other BW's I've seen, and it does not have the smooth gel coat finish. It is made with a thick foam core and has a similar stepping shape down the insides of the sides as the typica; BW's. It also has a heavy aluminum angle running around the top edge of the hull, as if it was set up as a work barge or something.

I wonder if the hull had been glassed over for some reason. Or if it is a look-alike that somehow got renamed and registered.

Any ideas?

ebry710

Ensign
Re: Boston Whaler or not?

The best way for me to tell if it is a whaler is to have a hull pics (bow, stern and side) and a deck pic. The hull plate does probably mean it is a whaler.
Whalers are not only great fishing and pleasure crafts, but they are also a fantastic work vessel. Police, Coast Guard and Marine researcher all use and modify its universal platform. I have seen side doors, cabins, salmon rigs and dive boats. They're unsinkable and foam filled makes it easily modified without changing performance.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Boston Whaler or not?

Although it probably is a BW, there are other companies that make wannabes.