Boston Whaler Inflatable

Just bought a used inflatable 10' Whaler (bwc3h) 822k485 are the numbers on the plate. Does anybody know what year? and maybe a hp rating for this boat? Tried the bw website but came up empty.
Thanks for looking

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: Boston Whaler Inflatable

Just bought a used inflatable 10' Whaler (bwc3h) 822k485 are the numbers on the plate. Does anybody know what year? and maybe a hp rating for this boat? Tried the bw website but came up empty.
Thanks for looking

OK, here is what I came up with for you.

There were from the Toyo Rubber Co. of Japan and made for Whaler. They were made with 80% Hypalon covered with 1200 Denier material (military grade).

I am pretty sure it is a 1985 model, the last two digits in the serial number

The smaller versions maxed at 7.5hp, the 10-11ft model had a max of 16HP (see photo). The 14' model was available with a Teleflex steering package and it would handle up to a 40 HP motor, and was also sold under the "Nissan" brand name at the time.

They later, as far as I can tell, moved production to Korea to increase their profits, but experienced quality problems.

BW pulled them from the market after this, to avoid image/brand damage to the company.

It should really fly with a 16HP on it. :D

Nice boat, have fun. :cool:

332462724_2jcEs-L.jpg

332462658_Qquee-L.jpg

332462798_YbYZJ-L.jpg

332463601_3bbpz-L.jpg

Snapping Turtle thanks for the research & info! That sure looks like it. This may sound like a stupid question(dont know anything about inflatables) but there are three air chambers on this boat, you have the left & right tubes plus the keel chamber(a white strip about 30"-36") Now when I inflate the boat do I pump it up on the keel and then attach the floor or attach the floor first and then pump it up? Anybody or everybody feel free to chime in.
The lady who sold it to me said it was her husband who just passed away and she knew nothing about it. It does fold up with the oars, 12v pump in a large canvas bag, she even gave me a little Johnson 2hp(that runs) a electric motor.
Once again thanks turtle
the rookie

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

Snapping Turtle thanks for the research & info! That sure looks like it. This may sound like a stupid question(dont know anything about inflatables) but there are three air chambers on this boat, you have the left & right tubes plus the keel chamber(a white strip about 30"-36") Now when I inflate the boat do I pump it up on the keel and then attach the floor or attach the floor first and then pump it up? Anybody or everybody feel free to chime in.
The lady who sold it to me said it was her husband who just passed away and she knew nothing about it. It does fold up with the oars, 12v pump in a large canvas bag, she even gave me a little Johnson 2hp(that runs) a electric motor.
Once again thanks turtle
the rookie

I have never had one with an inflatable keel, so I will leave that answer to the experts here.

Now I just have one request from you, will you ...

... POST SOME PHOTOS of you first time out.

We love Photos! :D

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

OMC inflatables were made by Zodiac out of PVC, not Hypalon. Toyo manufactured Hypalon boats under the Dynous label and under contract for Nissan. Having said that, the Whaler in the picture does look a lot like a Dynous from the the mid 80's and for the boat to still be holding air it would have to be a Hypalon fabric. I suppose it's possible that they built some boats for OMC, but this is the first time I have ever seen one...I learn something new everyday:)

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You want to put it together before you inflate.

Don't know how the BW's work but this is how I do my Avon.

1-Inflate the tubes (not keel) slightly ( maybe 20-25%) just enough to give them some form.
2- Put the floor together starting with the transom, if you have side rails put the side rails and florr boards togethe and try to work as one piece
3- lay the floor inside the tudes and pull up the fabric tight (this is why you want the tubes slightly inflated so you can get te floor boards tight in the crease of the fabric floor and the tubes.
4-put the triangular front piece in place again making sure it is tight in the crease.
5- you should now have a gap between the back floor boards and the front piece, and 1 floorboard remaining
6- put the remaining floor board in place starting with the front. It will overlap the back boards by a couple of inches.
7- PUSH, PULL, KICK, SCREAM on that front board to get them to LOCK into the back boards.
Don't worry you won't hurt anything.
Avon recommends using the paddles as levers to force them in. I have found that if you run a rope under the boat and lift the boat up a couple of feet where the boards are overlapping so the front and back boards form and upside down V they will go in place much easier.
8- once in place, make sure the floor is not pinching the tube and then start to inflate. Inflate the keel
9- fully inflating will tighten the floor in place and make the whole boat rigid.

Good Luck

JNEWTONSEM thanks for the info!! I just finished putting in the floor and filled the tubes. I will wait a few days to see how the air is holding then will inflate the keel and take it out for a test ride.

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

OMC inflatables were made by Zodiac out of PVC, not Hypalon. Toyo manufactured Hypalon boats under the Dynous label and under contract for Nissan. Having said that, the Whaler in the picture does look a lot like a Dynous from the the mid 80's and for the boat to still be holding air it would have to be a Hypalon fabric. I suppose it's possible that they built some boats for OMC, but this is the first time I have ever seen one...I learn something new everyday:)

The information I posted came from original internal BW documents purchased from a former employee who was part of the inflatable project. They included bill of sales and delivery receipts, for all shipments from Japan, some of the later receipts from Korea, and the original BW material specs for the manufactures.

The Japanese & the Koreans built some really nice boats, just a little expensive for us, so they were seldom seen in the west (with the exception of those from BW).

We know for the most part only a couple of western companies, and often assume wrongly, them to be the only quality manufactures in this sector. These companies are increasingly turning to Asia, and in some cases to Eastern Europe (formerly only for military) for the production of their western branded products. Most of the major Japanese brands have long exported this work to China.

China, as Japan did in the past, produces to the required spec of these manufactures, for particular price ranges. It runs from really cheap, to really expensive, those produced for Whaler were rather nice.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I actually worked for the U.S. Dynous distributor which was the name used by Toyo for the boat line:) Excellent boat but a wet design. How old is the one you have with the BW label on it?

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant

I actually worked for the U.S. Dynous distributor which was the name used by Toyo for the boat line:) Excellent boat but a wet design. How old is the one you have with the BW label on it?

Hey TG, now thats cool! :cool:

This boat is in Alaska and unfortunately is not mine.

I got the tip from a non-official BW historian, who purchased all the old documentation, promotion & media materials, from a former BW employee. I was referred to him from someone else I spoke to in a forum online.

A complicated web of inflatable fans from around the world all connected by a thin cable, so to say.

The boat in the picture is a 1986 model.

He said that some of the later "non-Japenese made models" had leak problems from the factory, and that Boston Whaler experimented with a foam filled variation, but he had little, or no real information about these.

Have you every seen one of these, or heard anything about them? :confused:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I started with NIMAC, the Dynous importer in 91. I'm sure that what ever relationship BW had with Toyo was long dead by then. As a guess I would say that very few were actually bought by Whaler as I have never seen the Toyo/BW boat or even heard of one before now. The boat does look a lot like one of the mid 80's models and so it probably is...The proof is in the plate. If you are looking for information I would look under the Dynous name rather than the Toyo name. Also, Defender Marine bought the last of the Dynous stock when NIMAC ceased importation into the U.S. in 1993. Parts for some stuff may still be available from them as a special order.