Borg and warner Velvet drive Transmission Issue

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
83 Carver Mariner, Twin 350's, borg and warner velvet drive trannys and Walther V-Drives. I just put a new starboard motor in (Was blown when i bought the boat so i had no clue of the condition of the drive train) Motor runs great, works fine in reverse, however when u go to shift into forward after about an inch of travel i feel try to kick into gear but as u push the lever forward it is no longer engaged, if u pull the lever back to about 1 inch from neutral it will try to go into gear, and if I play with the lever in that area i can get it to stay in gear for bit but if i raise the throttle is seams to go out. so Then i viewed the shaft off the transmission once i got it to stay in gear, and when i raise the throttle the shat is turning just doesn't seam to turn faster!(ie slipping?) so anyway is there anyone out there familiar with these tranys? is there anything i can try before i have to remove the motor again and try to get into the tranny? I do know that i have the correct rotation engine, and it is the same rotation as the old one, cant think of any more info i can give, Hope someone has some insight!@

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Borg and warner Velvet drive Transmission Issue

First, have you turned the shaft by hand (in neutral) to eliminate binding as a cause?
Next, is it safe to assume you've checked the fluid levels?

I'm no expert but might recommend you try shifting into gear by pulling directly on the transmission lever. It's possible your cable merely needs adjustment/replacement.
If it's still acting flakey after shifting manually, you've got a problem. Have it looked at by someone who knows their way around a marine transmission. Good luck.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Try arks suggestions and see what happens. If that don't work then most likely the forward clutch pack is worn beyond spec and the piston can't apply enough pressure to it or it's not getting the pressure to the piston itself for some reason. Most likely you will be pulling it out for repair. I don't know just how it is set up in your boat but if the front and rear of the engine is supported with motor mounts then you may be able to pull the tranny alone and leave the engine in place.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Also, BW trannys are reversible (depending on year) by moving the assembly that is contained in the bellhousing. I believe there is a screen filter in there as well. If it's not moving fluid, that will cause the same issues.

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

Also, BW trannys are reversible (depending on year) by moving the assembly that is contained in the bellhousing. I believe there is a screen filter in there as well. If it's not moving fluid, that will cause the same issues.
That is the pump on the front of the trans in the bellhousing area. Pump can be indexed for either a standard or reverse rotation engine. As long as you put the same rotation engine in that was in before that should be fine. Also you have pressure because you are getting reverse.

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i guess i just gota pull the motor and trany again! Good thing i have 2 other boats for this weekend! lol Happy boating and thanks!