Border emergency declared in New Mexico

KaGee

Admiral
With Cindy Sheehan getting all of the media's attention, this one kinda sneaked under the radar.<br />
<br />Governor says area 'devastated' by human and drug smuggling<br /><br />Saturday, August 13, 2005; Posted: 1:39 p.m. EDT (17:39 GMT) <br /><br />{CNN) -- New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson declared a state of emergency Friday in four counties along the Mexican border that he said have been "devastated" by crimes such as the smuggling of drugs and illegal immigrants.<br /><br />The declaration said the region "has been devastated by the ravages and terror of human smuggling, drug smuggling, kidnapping, murder, destruction of property and the death of livestock. ... <br /><br />"[It] is in an extreme state of disrepair and is inadequately funded or safeguarded to protect the lives and property of New Mexican citizens."<br /><br />New Mexico shares 180 miles of border with the Mexican state of Chihuahua.<br /><br />"The situation is out of hand," Richardson said Friday night on CNN's "Lou Dobbs Tonight," noting that one 54-mile stretch is particularly bad.<br /><br />The Mexican government issued a statement in which it acknowledged the problems along the border, but said it continues to make consistent efforts to target them along with U.S. authorities.<br /><br />It said some of Richardson's views stem from "generalizations that do not correspond to the spirit of cooperation and understanding that are required for dealing with problems of common concern along the border."<br /><br />Richardson's declaration makes $750,000 in state emergency funds available to Dona Ana, Luna, Grant and Hidalgo counties.<br /><br />Richardson pledged an additional $1 million in assistance for the area, his office said in a news release.
When is America gonna wake up and see this HUGE problem??

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Border emergency declared in New Mexico

Keith, I am not a racial person, but I could not agree more.

D

DJ

When is America gonna wake up and see this HUGE problem??<br />
Don't hold your breath.<br /><br />Arizona has 377 miles of border, in the same condition. We won't even let the ranchers down there protect their own property. :(

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

When is our PRESIDIENT gonna wake up and do something about this.<br /><br />I am so disappointed in him on this subject, and Texas is his home state.<br /><br />The radio claimed that border patrol has captured 800,000 illegals in Texas this YEAR. Think of all those that havent been captured.<br /><br />Ken

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br /> When is our PRESIDIENT gonna wake up and do something about this.<br /><br />I am so disappointed in him on this subject, and Texas is his home state.<br /><br />The radio claimed that border patrol has captured 800,000 illegals in Texas this YEAR. Think of all those that havent been captured.<br /><br />Ken
I couldnt agree more on this subject, I wouldnt even object to a shoot to kill policy on our bourders. :eek: Im absolutly serious!

KaGee

Admiral

Napolitano declares border emergency <br />
<br />Associated Press<br />Aug. 15, 2005 05:57 PM <br /><br />Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano declared an emergency Monday in four border counties because of problems related to lax border enforcement and moved to provide local governments in those counties with up to $1.5 million in state funding.<br /><br />Napolitano's order directly released $200,000 from the state's emergency fund for disasters while her emergency council released an additional $1.3 million, spokeswoman Jeanine L'Ecuyer said.<br /><br />The money is intended for use by counties and municipalities for a variety of purposes, including overtime pay for law enforcement officers, repairs of border fences, costs related to illegal immigrants' deaths, L'Ecuyer said. <br /><br />Napolitano's action followed by three days a similar declaration by New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson.
This is window dressing trying to improve her image. Her past actions have all been "pro-immigrant". She's up for re-election.... who'd have thought! <br /> :rolleyes:

Braxton

Chief Petty Officer

:confused: 800,000. is way out of hand

KRS

Banned

Not sure why someone thinks this is a racial issue???????????????????<br /><br />This is an issue of someone breaking our immigration law, not race.<br /><br />Anyway, I agree that the Border Patrol are understaffed to tackle this problem. Even if there were 10,000 more agents tomorrow along the border, it can't be stopped.<br /><br />Maybe shoot on site???? hmmmmm, maybe lubedude is onto something? Let's see what response that gets.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

The people on the border states are letting us down. Why don't they break into Mexico??? I would suggest they take drugs with but they are too expensive here.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think President Bush is letting us down on this one. For those that don't know me, I'm a huge fan of our President, voted for him both times and proud of it but this one is a head scratcher for me. When it takes volunteer civilians to monitor our borders, something is very, very wrong.

Link

Rear Admiral

LubeDude <br />
I couldnt agree more on this subject, I wouldnt even object to a shoot to kill policy on our bourders. Im absolutly serious!
Hmmm<br />Thought hadnt crossed my mind... <br />Hmmm<br />Its a "Hot Topic" up here just north of you.<br />We are being over run.<br />Hmmm<br />Dont think the Libs would like that and they control almost everything. Didnt they want to or did have water stations put up?<br /><br />What a thought though..<br />Imagine a physical barrier at the border and if you crossed it (in no-mans land) your facing 50 cals?? <br />Then we could take all the illegal's in our prisons (at $60,000.00 a year per inmate) and dump them in the no-mans land. Give them a one minute head start to flood back into thier own country before we opened fire!<br /><br />Hmmmm you may be on to something..<br />Might actually work.. <br /><br />What a thought

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Send in the army and grab the first 10 miles of Mexico and see how the Mexican government responds. They are encouraging this activity, and I would continue to grab 10 miles a month as a "buffer zone" until they manage their population.<br /><br />Try this little number and see what "everything they can do" really means.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Aw, for the love of Jesus!!! Shut up about gunning down Mexicans running for the border! If y'all lived down there, you would be running north too. Just build a wall with checkpoints, it's either that or closing the borders. C'mon, folks.

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Aw, for the love of Jesus!!! Shut up about gunning down Mexicans running for the border! If y'all lived down there, you would be running north too. Just build a wall with checkpoints, it's either that or closing the borders. C'mon, folks.
THE BORDERS ARE CLOSED ?!?!?!?!!?!?!!?!? :confused: :confused:

Realgun

Commander

What emergency? I need those guys to build the rest of my fence as nobody here will do it as cheap or as good!<br /><br />Seriously there is no real issues with illegals except they can't speak english worth a hoot!<br /><br />GOV Bill is an arse and hes trying to be President. Please for the love of PETE do not let him get elected!<br /><br />BTW I have my pasport to get into New Mexico. :D <br /><br />In my Avatar you can see the Rio Grande damed up to make the lake in New Mexico the boats beached at.

KaGee

Admiral

I believe in both cases, this is pure politics.<br />Richardson has national aspirations as Realgun has pointed out.<br /><br />Napalitano wants re-elected. In her case this is pure grand-standing and hypocrisy. She has opposed measures to try to control illegal immigrantion.<br /><br />In both cases, it's another thing to try and embarrass the administration and shift blame of their own difficiencies to Washington.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Realgun, I have a lot of issues with our open borders. There are an estimated 5000 members of a south american gang ILLEGALLY here in the USA. This gang is notoriusly brutal.<br /><br />Not to mention the possibility of terrorists who want to do us harm.<br /><br />And it is a drain on the economy, mostly on the schools.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

The Border Patrol, by their own admission, catches about 10-15%. You do the math. :eek: <br /><br />Napalitano is trying to do a "one up" on the President.<br /><br />This is about the ONLY issue that I disagree with GWB on.

D

DJ

an NOT ONE of 'um is a terrorist..<br />
Crabby, I HOPE you do not believe that.<br /><br />There have been many caught that were of Mid-East persuasion with suitcases full of cash. It doesn't hit the media, for obvious reasons.