BoraCare treatment before resin?

rwilliek

Seaman
Quick question - my inlaws lived in Louisianna for several years, and re-built their boat while down there. They were told they should use a product called BoraCare on the wood installed on the boat.

They gave me about 64 ounces to use on our project. So far I have coated all of the panels which are covered in vinyl, and I have about half of it left.

I wonder if this product would help at all in the transom department. Just in case the transom did get wet, the BoraCare would prevent fungus and mold from developing on the wood starting the rot process.

Robbie

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: BoraCare treatment before resin?

If the transom wood is properly sealed (the way it should be) it will not be needed and I have never heard of it being used under fiberglass resin....... it may effect the adhesion.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I've heard of this product and it's mostly an insect powder (salt type thing). It's not needed in anyway for the wood on your boat...and as Bob_VT said it could ( I dont' know) affect the adhesion of the resin. I would strongly recommend against it.

rwilliek

Seaman

The product is water based, and soaks into the wood, leaving no residue on the outside. It does leave a boron salt behind which is lethal to molds and fungus, but harmless to humans.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

Up to you.....I can say it's not needed, but your choice.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

The stuff is basically a termite/pest control application. You talking about Mold.

While I have read through there MSDS sheet here : http://www.nisuscorp.com/pdf/products/boracare_label.pdf .. I cant see a reason why you would use it.

I can not see why it would be a problem with bonding .. so If for some reason you Really want to use this stuff then go for it. I do see a reason myself..but like Cad said..its your choice.

YD.

fishrdan

Admiral

I haven't used BoraCare, but used a home-grown version of it that I used to treat the plywood in my boat. (I didn't glass my plywood as I'm in a dry climate where the wood will dry out) The home grown version is borax boiled in water/glycol antifreeze until the borax dissolves. Boracare could differ from my home grown treatment, probably does, but I noticed a couple of things with the borax/glycol treatment;

1- the glycol dried to a film on the surface of the wood, I washed that off. (too much glycol? probably...)
2- the borax treatment did not penetrate the plywood all that far, ply 1&2 were saturated, but the other plys did not soak up the treatment very much, if at all. The plywood's glue caused a barrier that stopped the liquid from penetrating well.
3- once dried, that stuff is gritty and I hated handling the wood, just felt weird. Nails on the chalk board type of thing.
4- I would do all your machining on the wood before treating it as it leaves a mineral behind that could dull tools. When I drilled into the treated wood it make a weird crunchy sound and I could tell there were minerals in there.

That said, I wasn't 100% confident in the wood rot properties of borax (boron salt, whatever they call it) so I followed up with Jasco Termin8 wood treatment. The Termin8 had little problem seeping into the wood and it easily penetrated through the plywoods top layers,,, through the borax in the wood. Layer 1-2 of the plywood were saturated and layer 3 was spotty, layer 4 hit and miss. Since the Termin8 soaked in without problems, I would imagine fiberglass resin would too.

One thing about borax/glycol (BoraCare), it's not going to seep deep into the wood unless you leave it immersed in the stuff for a long time, the wood will not drink it up after a certain point. (IE: the reason for pressure treating) If you do get it completely saturated,,, it's going to take a long time for it to dry out, possibly warping your wood. Most likely, the middle plywood layers will not be treated and if they become saturated with water, the wood, could, rot from the inside out.

Just my experience,

Again,,, I'm not suggesting that you leave your plywood un-fiberglassed or un-epoxied. I did because wood will dry out in the very dry climate where I live.