Bonehead move

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I went out on the lake today and for some reason forgot turn the motor off before I pulled the boat out. It was running no more than a minute out of the water before I turned it off. Also the intake was full of seaweed. Did I do damage to a new engine. It's a merc 115. Is there an overheat warning?

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bonehead move

I think you will be fine. The motors today have a lot of safeguards built into them. Keep an eye on the pee hole next time out to make sure your water pump is ok.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You will probably fine, but I would change the impeller just to be on the safe side. I would not run it until I get it replaced.

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put those water ear muff things on and ran water. The water seems to come out strong so I think I will be ok. I will keep an eye on it. Only have 4 hours on the engine.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating! Pulling the boat out with the motor running is a new one, never heard that one before. Fortunately you don't have to worry about launching with the bilge plug out, pontoons don't have one. Also, if you leave the outboard down you usually won't grind down the skeg (fin) on the engine, 'toons sit higher on the trailer and won't drag.

I'll bet you will:
Try and launch with the tie downs attached In back (done it several times)
Launch with the transom saver still attached (Only once.... so far)
Launch with the boat ignition keys in the car..... that just pulled up the ramp to the parking area (once)

Shall I continue, or wait until you and everyone else stops laughing...... you all know you've done it too!!! ;)

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

This illustrates how quiet and smooth idling a modern 4 stroke outboard motor is.

You should be okay on the impeller. Just watch the motor closely next time you're out on the water.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The engine is trashed so you should just send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.

You are fine, if you just pulled out there would still have been water in the jacket and you were at idle so I would be really surprised if you did any damage at all.

Now if you had started after it had been out of the water for a long time you might burn a pump but having just come out you are okay

atistang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the wonderful world of boating! Pulling the boat out with the motor running is a new one, never heard that one before. Fortunately you don't have to worry about launching with the bilge plug out, pontoons don't have one. Also, if you leave the outboard down you usually won't grind down the skeg (fin) on the engine, 'toons sit higher on the trailer and won't drag.

I'll bet you will:
Try and launch with the tie downs attached In back (done it several times)
Launch with the transom saver still attached (Only once.... so far)
Launch with the boat ignition keys in the car..... that just pulled up the ramp to the parking area (once)

Shall I continue, or wait until you and everyone else stops laughing...... you all know you've done it too!!! ;)

i started leaving the drain plug in the cupholder with the keys, never launched without either ever again lol

luckly the time i backed it in with the plug out i realized it before i left the trailer. the time i left the keys at home sucked though

dwendler

Recruit

I had a similar move yesterday. A friend cleaned my boat and flushed my engine for me. it's a 2012 Yamaha SHO 250 Four-Stroke. He thought he had to start the engine while flushing it. He says it idled for five minutes while water was being circulated through the flush connection (not with the ear muffs). I am concerned that my impeller is damaged. The boat had just come out of the water and he did have water circulating through the flush connection. Any chance my impeller survived?

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bonehead move. A few years back I was pulling the boat from the water after duck hunting on a single ramp where several hunters were pulling their boats out as well. I locked my truck keys in the truck, with it idling, on the ramp with the trailer in the water (On a single ramp location), after dark, with it 25 degrees out, freezing rain, and my wife was an hour away with a spare set. Lets say it was a long hour waiting on the keys, knowing you ticked off a lot of guys with guns!
Now, even though the new truck won't lock with the engine idling and no one in the drivers seat, I always roll down the drivers window when launching or retrieving, no matter what the weather is.

I will be willing to bet you won't be doing that again:joyous:

MinUph

Chief Petty Officer

Mine was today out on the gulf at our favorite sandy beach. Laying in the water and saying to my wife look baby you can see the anchor. It was sticking up about 4" out of the water and it was closer to shore than the boat. About a half hour later we decided to "take a ride" She wouldn't budge. We lifted and lifted and had to ask some people on the other side of the island for help 3 guys and their better halves and us makes 8 people got her off the sand and on our way. Moral is when you see your anchor sticking out of the water you'd better get the h(&l out of there or be prepared to wait for the tide to come back in. Beautiful day anyway.
hot dogs.jpg Hoffman's hot dogs and coneys for anyone that might know. Mmmmm