Bolt down center console

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
Went to the NJ Atlantic City boat show. Looked at a number of center consoles. Noticed some of the "budget minded" boats had their center consoles screwed to the floor. Others were either molded in, or appeared to drop below the floor to some mysterious mounting scheme.<br /><br />Opinions?

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Bolt down center console

I am looking for an opinion on bolt down center consoles? Are they a problem? Should they be avoided?

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

My ProLine's console is screwed into the floor and I don't think that most poeple think of a ProLine as a "budget-minded boat". There is a seal of caulk all the way around under the lip so it stays dry inside and the screws are all sealed as well. The console is extremely sturdy. I have no problems with that style. <br /><br /> UFM82

bigboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think it's no problem to screw them down but seal them with 5200 i've read on this forum.

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm on a budget and my 1978 25' Mako's console is held down by screws. The 1976 23' Seacraft that I once owned also had it's console screwed down as well as a 22' Chris Craft Cutlass and a 20' Mako. <br />And I just converted a 17'Mckee Craft to a center console and I screwed that down. <br />On all five boats, the center console will fail long before the screws do.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When I bolted mine down, I actually bolted two pieces of wood down by using larger lags predrilled and sealed with 5200, through the floor, and into the stringers below. Then I screwed the console from the sides into these two pieces of wood. I then ran a bead of 5200 around the entire base. It cut way down on the hardware that was penetrating the floor and no water will ever get inside from the bottom. Did the same thing with my seatbox. Can't say my way is any better, just how I did it.

crab bait

Captain

any penatration is a gateway to rot..unless sealed with 5200 or epoxy..<br /><br />never never trust caulk,silicone, boat gunk,ect..they always fail..